- The mind-altering mechanism is based on a subliminal
carrier technology: the Silent Sound Spread Spectrum (SSSS), sometimes
called "S-quad" or "Squad". It was developed by Dr
Oliver Lowery of Norcross, Georgia, and is described in US Patent #5,159,703,
"Silent Subliminal Presentation System", dated October 27, 1992.
The abstract for the patent reads:
- "A silent communications system in which nonaural
carriers, in the very low or very high audio-frequency range or in the
adjacent ultrasonic frequency spectrum are amplitude- or frequency-modulated
with the desired intelligence and propagated acoustically or vibrationally,
for inducement into the brain, typically through the use of loudspeakers,
earphones, or piezoelectric transducers. The modulated carriers may be
transmitted directly in real time or may be conveniently recorded and stored
on mechanical, magnetic, or optical media for delayed or repeated transmission
to the listener."
- According to literature by Silent Sounds, Inc., it is
now possible, using supercomputers, to analyse human emotional EEG patterns
and replicate them, then store these "emotion signature clusters"
on another computer and, at will, "silently induce and change the
emotional state in a human being".
- Silent Sounds, Inc. states that it is interested only
in positive emotions, but the military is not so limited. That this is
a US Department of Defense project is obvious.
- Edward Tilton, President of Silent Sounds, Inc., says
this about S-quad in a letter dated December 13, 1996:
- "All schematics, however, have been classified by
the US Government and we are not allowed to reveal the exact details...
... we make tapes and CDs for the German Government, even the former Soviet
Union countries! All with the permission of the US State Department, of
course... The system was used throughout Operation Desert Storm (Iraq)
- The graphic illustration, "Induced Alpha to Theta
Biofeedback Cluster Movement", which accompanies the literature, is
labelled #AB 116-394-95 UNCLASSIFIED" and is an output from "the
world's most versatile and most sensitive electroencephalograph (EEG) machine".
It has a gain capability of 200,000, as compared to other EEG machines
in use which have gain capability of approximately 50,000. It is software-driven
by the "fastest of computers" using a noisenulling technology
similar to that used by nuclear submarines for detecting small objects
underwater at extreme range.
- The purpose of all this high technology is to plot and
display a moving cluster of periodic brainwave signals. The illustration
shows an EEG display from a single individual, taken of left and right
hemispheres simultaneously. Ile readout from the two sides of the brain
appear to be quite different, but in fact are the same (discounting normal
leftright brain variations).
- CLONING THE EMOTIONS
- By using these computer-enhanced EEGs, scientists can
identify and isolate the brain's low-amplitude "emotion signature
clusters", synthesise them and store them on another computer. In
other words, by studying the subtle characteristic brainwave patterns that
occur when a subject experiences a particular emotion, scientists have
been able to identify the concomitant brainwave pattern and can now duplicate
it. "These clusters are then placed on the Silent Sound[TM] carrier
frequencies and will silently trigger the occurrence of the same basic
emotion in another human being!"
- SYSTEM DELIVERY AND APPLICATIONS
- There is a lot more involved here than a simple subliminal
sound system. There are numerous patented technologies which can be piggybacked
individually or collectively onto a carrier frequency to elicit all kinds
- There appear to be two methods of delivery with the system.
One is direct microwave induction into the brain of the subject, limited
to short-range operations. The other, as described above, utilises ordinary
radio and television carrier frequencies.
- Far from necessarily being used as a weapon against a
person, the system does have limitless positive applications. However,
the fact that the sounds are subliminal makes them virtually undetectable
and possibly dangerous to the general public.
- In more conventional use, the Silent Sounds Subliminal
System might utilise voice commands, e.g., as an adjunct to security systems.
Beneath the musical broadcast that you hear in stores and shopping malls
may be a hidden message which exhorts against shoplifting. And while voice
commands alone are powerful, when the subliminal presentation system carries
cloned emotional signatures, the result is overwhelming.
- Free-market uses for this technology are the common self-help
tapes; positive affirmation, relaxation and meditation tapes; as well as
methods to increase learning capabilities.
- In a medical context, these systems can be used to great
advantage to treat psychiatric and psychosomatic problems. As a system
for remediating the profoundly deaf, it is unequalled. (Promises, promises.
This is the most common positive use touted for this technology over the
past 30 years. But the deaf are still deaf, and the military now has a
weapon to use on unsuspecting people with perfectly normal hearing.)
- OFFICIAL DENIALS
- In fact, the US Government has denied or refused to comment
on mindaltering weapons for years. Only last year, US News & World
Report ran an article titled "Wonder Weapons"basically a review
of the new so-called 'non-lethal' or 'less-than -lethal' weapons.' Not
one word about S-quad, although the technology had been used six years
- Excerpts from the article read:
- "Says Charles Bernard, a former Navy weapons-research
director: 'I have yet to see one of these ray-gun things that actually
- DARPA (Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency) has
come to us every few years to see if there are ways to incapacitate the
central nervous system remotely,' Dr F. Terry Hambrecht, head of the Neural
Prostheses Program at NIH, told US News, 'but nothing has ever come of
if,' he said. 'That is too science-fiction and far-fetched."'
- It may sound "science fiction and far-fetched"
but it is not. However, that is just what the powers-that-be want you to
believe, so as to leave them alone in their relentless pursuit of...what?
- The idea behind non-lethal weapons is to incapacitate
the enemy without actually killing them, or, in the case of riot control
or hostage situations, to disable the participants without permanent injury,
preferably without their knowing it. The electromagnetic mind-altering
technologies would all fall into this class of weapons, but since they
are all officially non-existent, who is to decide when and where they will
- And why should selected companies in the entertainment
industry reportedly be allowed access to this technology when the very
fact of its existence is denied to the general public?
- As recently as last month [February], this stonewall
approach of total denial or silence on the subject still held fast, even
toward committees of the US Congress!
- - The Joint Economics Committee, chaired by Jim Saxton
(R-NJ), convened on February 25, 1998 for the "Hearing on Radio Frequency
Weapons and Proliferation: Potential Impact on the Economy". Invited
testimony included statements by several authorities from the military:
- - Dr Alan Kehs, of the US Army Laboratories, discussed
the overall RF threat.
- - Mr James O'Bryon, Deputy Director of Operational Testing
and Director of live fire testing for the Office of Secretary of Defense
at the Pentagon, discussed the role of Live Fire Testing and how it plays
a role in testing military equipment with RF weapons.
- - Mr David Schriner, Principal Engineer of Directed Energy
Studies with Electronic Warfare Associates and recently retired as an engineer
with a naval weapons testing facility, talked about the difficulty in building
an RF weapon and about the terrorist threat.
- - Dr Ira Merritt, Chief of Concepts Identification and
Applications Analysis Division, Advanced Technology Directorate, Missile
Defense and Space Technology Center, Huntsville, Alabama, discussed the
proliferation of RF weapons primarily from the former Soviet Union.
- Although these statements gave information of technical
interest, they are perhaps more important for the information they did
not give: information on the existence of radiofrequency weapons that directly
affect the human brain and nervous system.
- KGB PSYCHOTRONICS
- This technology did not spring up overnight. It has a
long history of development and denials of development-by the US Government
and probably half of the other governments of the world as well.
- We know that the former Soviet Union was actively engaged
in this type of research. In a previous article we reported that during
the 1970s the Soviet KGB developed a Psychotronic Influence System (PIS)
that was used to turn soldiers into programmable 'human weapons'. The system
employed a combination of highfrequency radiowaves and hypnosis. The PIS
project was begun in response to a similar training scheme launched in
the US by President Carter, according to Yuri Malin, former security adviser
to USSR President Gorbachev.
- In my Electromagnetic Weapons Timeline I covered a
period of 60 years of interest and development in EM weaponsóinformation
gathered from the many articles and news clippings sent in by readers of
Resonance. In my article on synthetic telepathy I traced the development
of the 'voice in your head' technology dating back to 1961, all my references
coming from the open scientific literature.
- POWER OF THE MILITARY-INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX
- Jan Wiesemann has written an apt description of the situation
which now exists in the United States, about the 'forces that be' and how
the situation came about:
- "During the Cold War the United States not only
engaged in a relatively open nuclear arms race with the Soviet Union, but
also engaged in a secret race developing unconventional weapons. As the
intelligence agencies (which prior to the Second World War had merely played
a supporting role within the government) continued to increase their power,
so did the funds spent on developing techniques designed to outsmart each
- "And as the US intelligence community began to grow,
a secret culture sprang about which enabled the intelligence players to
implement the various developed techniques to cleverly circumvent the democratic
processes and institutions...
- "Like many other democracies, the US Government
is made up of two basic parts the elected constituency, i.e., the various
governors, judges, congressmen and the President; and the unelected bureaucracies,
as represented by the numerous federal agencies.
- "In a well-balanced and correctly functioning democracy,
the elected part of the government is in charge of its unelected bureaucratic
part, giving the people a real voice in the agenda set by their government.
- "While a significant part of the US Government no
doubt follows this democratic principle, a considerable portion of the
US Government operates in complete secrecy and follows its own unaccountable
agenda which, unacknowledged, very often is quite different from the public
- Jan goes on to quote one of the United States' most popular
war heroes: Dwight D. Eisenhower, who served as Supreme Commander of Allied
Forces during World War II and was later elected 34th President of the
United States. In his farewell address to the nation in 1961, President
- "...we have been compelled to create a permanent
armaments industry of vast proportions. Added to this, three and a half
million men and women are directly engaged in the defence establishment.
We annually spend on military security more than the net income of all
United States corporations.
- "This conjunction of an immense military establishment
and a large arms industry is new in the American experience. The total
influence-economic, political, even spiritual-is felt in every city, every
state house, every office of the federal government. We recognise the imperative
need for this development. Yet we must not fail to comprehend its grave
implications. Our toil, resources and livelihood are all involved; so is
the very structure of our society.
- "In the councils of government, we must guard against
the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by
the military -industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise
of misplaced power exists and will persist. We must never let the weight
of this combination endanger our liberties or our democratic processes."
- INTERNATIONAL CONCERNS OVER NEW WEAPONS
- The United Nations was established in 1945 with the aim
of "saving succeeding generations from the scourge of war". In
1975 the General Assembly considered a draft first proposed by .the Soviet
Union: "Prohibition of the Development and Manufacture of New Types
of Weapons of Mass Destruction and New Systems of Such Weapons".
- In 1979 the Soviet Union added a list of some types of
potential weapons of mass destruction:
- 1) Radiological weapons (using radioactive materials)
which could produce harmful effects similar to those of a nuclear explosion;
- 2) Particle beam weapons, based on charged or neutral
particles, to affect biological targets;
- 3) Infrasonic acoustic radiation weapons;
- 4) Electromagnetic weapons operating at certain radio-frequency
radiations which could have injurious effects on human organs.
- In response, the US and other Western nations stalled.
They gave a long, convoluted reason, but the result was the same.
- In an article entitled "Non-Lethal Weapons May Violate
Treaties", the author notes that the Certain Conventional Weapons
Convention covers many of the non-conventional weaponsó"those
that utilize infrasound or electromagnetic energy (including lasers, microwave
or radiofrequency radiation, or visible light pulsed at brainwave frequency)
for their effects".
- Harlan Girard, Managing Director of the International
Committee Against Offensive Microwave Weapons, told me he believes the
strategy behind the government's recent push for less-than-lethal weapons
is a subterfuge. The ones that are now getting all the publicity are put
up for scrutiny to get the public's approval. The electromagnetic mind-altering
technologies are not mentioned, but would be brought in later under the
umbrella of less-than- lethal weapons.
- These weapons were recently transferred from the Department
of Defense over to the Department of Justice. Why? Because there are several
international treaties that specifically limit or exclude weapons of this nature from being used in international warfare.
- In other words, weapons that are barred from use against
our country's worst enemies (notwithstanding the fact that the US did use
this weapon against Iraqi troops!) can now be used against our own citizens
by the local police departments against such groups as peaceful protestors
of US nuclear policies.
- TOWARDS GLOBAL MIND CONTROL
- The secrecy involved in the development of the electromagnetic
mind-altering technology reflects the tremendous power that is inherent
in it. To put it bluntly, whoever controls this technology can control
the minds of men-all men.
- There is evidence that the US Government has plans to
extend the range of this technology to envelop all peoples, all countries.
This can be accomplished, is being accomplished, by utilising the nearly
completed HAARP project[15,16] for overseas areas and the GWEN network
now in place in the US. The US Government denies all this.
- Dr Michael Persinger is a Professor of Psychology and
Neuroscience at Laurentian University, Ontario, Canada. You have met him
before in the pages of Resonance where we reported on his findings that
strong electromagnetic fields can affect a person's brain.
- "Temporal lobe stimulation," he said, "can
evoke the feeling of a presence, disorientation, and perceptual irregularities.
It can activate images stored in the subject's memory, including nightmares
and monsters that are normally suppressed."
- Dr Persinger wrote an article a few years ago, titled
"On the Possibility of Directly Accessing Every Human Brain by Electromagnetic
Induction of Fundamental Algorithms". The abstract reads:
- "Contemporary neuroscience suggests the existence
of fundamental algorithms by which all sensory transduction is translated
into an intrinsic, brain-specific code. Direct stimulation of these codes
within the human temporal or limbic cortices by applied electromagnetic
patterns may require energy levels which are within the range of both geomagnetic
activity and contemporary communication networks. A process which is coupled
to the narrow band of brain temperature could allow all normal human brains
to be. affected by a subharmonic whose frequency range at about 10 Hz would
only vary by 0. 1 Hz."
- He concludes the article with this:
- "Within the last two decades a potential has emerged
which was improbable, but which is now marginally feasible. This potential
is the technical capability to influence directly the major portion of
the approximately six billion brains of the human species, without mediation
through classical sensory modalities, by generating neural information
within a physical medium within which all members of the species are immersed.
- "The historical emergence of such possibilities,
which have ranged from gunpowder to atomic fission, have resulted in major
changes in the social evolution that occurred inordinately quickly after
the implementation. Reduction of the risk of the inappropriate application
of these technologies requires the continued and open discussion of their
realistic feasibility and implications within the scientific and public
- It doesn't get any plainer than that. And we do not have
open discussion because the US Government has totally denied the existence
of this technology.
- I would like to give special thanks to: Jan Wiesemann
for sending the Silent Sounds[TM] statement and patents which were the
keystone of this article; Mike Coyle, whose computer search turned up many
more related patents; Harlan Girard, who has provided numerous official
government documents; and to the many who have provided newsclippings and
articles, moral and financial support to Resonance, without which we'd
have ceased publication long ago.
- About the Author:
- Judy Wall is Editor and Publisher of Resonance, the Newsletter
of the Bioelectromagnetics Special Interest Group. pp.11--13,15-16