It appears to be possible to defeat TASER electronic control devices (those stun guns shooter things) with a simple modification to your undergarments. Lining the inside of a T-shirt with an electrically conductive fabric allows you to "short out" the electrical shock from the two metal contact probes, or it will at least load down the high-voltage generator in the TASER device, resulting in an electrical shock that is not as intense as the standard 50,000 volts or so.
The good news is that this electrically conductive fabric is readily available. For this experiment, we'll be using the "High Performance Silver Mesh Fabric" from Less EMF, Inc., Catalog #A1222. This fabric is perfect for experimenting and is very easy to work with. The bad news is that this fabric is fairly expensive. Around $15 a linear foot (54" wide). You'll probably need several layers of this material for this method to work "in real life." Also, the silver coating on the nylon fabric will wear off over a period of time and continuous use.
Construction is quite simple. Get an old, tight-fitting T-shirt (you'll want it to be snug against your body) and some 3M Super77, or similar, spray adhesive. Lay out the T-shirt and roughly fit the conductive fabric to match the contour of the shirt. Remove the conductive fabric and apply a good coat of the spray adhesive. Let the adhesive sit for a minute, or until it gets "tacky." Gently place the conductive fabric back onto the T-shirt, cautiously avoiding any tears or creases. Press the fabric down into the adhesive using an old rolling pin. You may wish to apply another coat of the spray adhesive or add additional layers of the conductive fabric. The finished shirt will have a "stiff" feel to it, though.
If using multiple pieces of conductive fabric, they must all have a continous electrical connection! This is a major requirement for this method to work. For example, if lining a pair of pants to protect your legs, there should be a wire (or another piece of fabric) connecting to the fabric on the torso area. The copper/metallic tape used for making stained glass windows can be useful for these applications.
Conductive Fabric Specifications
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Less EMF, Inc. - High Performance Silver Mesh Fabric ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Base Fabric : Knit Nylon Substrate : Nylon Weight : 40 g/m^2 Temp. Range : -30° to 90° C Metal Coating : Silver Metal Purity : > 99% Electrical Resistance : < 0.5 ohms/cm^2 Wash in warm water, mild soap. No bleach. Air dry. Do not apply heat. Do not iron. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Helpful TASER Information
Here are some helpful little tidbits directly from a TASER manual:
- The bottom probe impacts at an 8° angle from the top probe. This results in a spread of approximately one foot for every seven feet of distance from the target. Greater probe spread increases the effectiveness. If possible, a minimum 4-inch spread between the probes is recommended.
- The current must pass between both probes. If one or both probes miss the subject, deploy a second cartridge if available. If one probe has made contact with the subject, using the drive-stun on any area of the body will complete the circuit and cause Neuromuscular Incapacitation (NMI). However, the charge effects will stop as soon as the TASER is moved away from the subject.
- If the probes impact in an area where there is very little muscle mass (e.g., the side of the rib cage), the effectiveness can be significantly diminished.
- Probe spreads of less than four inches (including drive-stun) result in little or no effect from NMI and become primarily a pain compliance option. If a close range deployment resulting in limited probe spread does not incapacitate the subject, apply a drive-stun, as described below, to a point away from the probes. This will effectively widen the contact area and can achieve NMI.
- Normally, aim the laser of the device at one of the large muscle groups (center of mass) such as the torso or thigh areas.
- Look at the doors of the cartridges (the part facing you). This tells you how far it reaches and if it's an "E" cartridge. "E" cartridges have a longer probe (3/4-inch compared to 1/2-inch). Try to get the wires to cross, this can short the system out. Also try to fall in a rolling method away from the device. Do it hard enough and you may break the connecting wires (they are not very strong, but most deployments are at very close ranges, so there's alot of wire). Lastly, if you have body armor, the TASER can run its charge right through it, and up to approximately 1 inch of clothing. If you have armor, put tin foil in it, the arc will stay on the foil.
- Yellow: 15 feet (Civilian)
- Yellow with Cross Hashing: 21 feet (Original)
- Silver: - 21 feet
- Green: - 35 feet
- Green with Cross Hashing: - 35 foot "E" cartridge
Construction Notes & Pictures
Overview of what's needed. An old T-shirt, some electrically conductive fabric, a good pair of scissors, some masking tape, and some spray adhesive.
Lay out the T-shirt on a surface which will not get ruined by the overspray from the spray adhesive. Stretch it out so there are no creases and secure it with some masking tape.
Before applying the spray adhesive, cut the conductive fabric so it fits the contours of the shirt. Remove the fabric and apply a good coating of the adhesive. Carefully reapply the conductive fabric, avoiding any creases. Press it down using a rolling pin.
(The upper corner was cut wrong on this example.)
Conductivity test. With the probes about one foot apart, the meter is reading "2.1 Ohms."
Stun Gun Zap Test
Testing using a Cheetah Stun SAG-106 stun gun.
Output voltage is listed as 650 kV, which is very unlikely.
The conductive fabric appeared to short out the stun gun.
Alternate view of the shorted output.
Burn marks left on the conductive fabric after the stun gun testing. These spots were no longer electrically conductive, so this appears to be an "one time use" application.
A potential anti-TASER clothing countermeasure could envolve coating the metal probe with a non-conductive enamel, leaving just the tip exposed. This would prevent the electrical shock from being shorted out by external clothing. This would require the probe's tips to enter into the skin for the TASER to be effective.
- Higher resolution pictures and the original project article are available in GBPPR 'Zine Issue #42
- TASER International
- TASER X26C Operating Manual (805k PDF)
- TASER X26C Specifications (203k PDF)
- TASER Cartridge Specifications (218k PDF)
- EMF Shielding & Conductive Fabrics
- DIY Carbon Tape TASER-Proof Jacket
- Anti-Static Fabrics and Anti-TASER Protective Device U.S. Patent 2006/0175581 (270k PDF) (Online)
- Stungun Cartridge U.S. Patent 5,786,546 (178k PDF)
- Systems and Methods for Incapacitation Using Biofeedback U.S. Patent 7,305,787 (87k PDF) (Online)
- Energy Weapon Protection Device U.S. Patent 7,284,280 (ThorShield) (101k PDF) (Online)
- Protective Article of Outer Clothing U.S. Patent 7,712,149 (91k PDF) (Online)
- ThorShield Energy weapon protection fabric.
- Products Page Mirror
- Video of ThorShield in Action (YouTube) (WMV Version) (AVI Version)
- Spartan Cops Interviews ThorShield Inventor, Greg Schultz
- ThorShield Can Make You TASER Proof! "ThorShield is a 3-layer fabric that consists of outer layers of non-conductive material, with a conductive layer in the middle. Basically, the inner layer of conductive material completes the connection between the two probes and dissipates the electricity so the wearer is not incapacitated. This works because electricity follows the path of least resistance, and the conductive material passes the current much easier than the human body."
- TASER Resistant Outfit (YouTube)
- Closer Look at the TASER Probes (YouTube)
- Man Gets TASEed by Corrupt Utah Cop Thug cop freaks out and tases an innocent man, then tries to cover it up! And you wonder why people hate cops! Note that the innocent man has since received a $40,000 settlement. The corrupt cop's name is Jon Gardner. (YouTube)
- Video of the Cheetah Stun SAG-106 Experiment (653k WMV) (YouTube)
- Polyester Fabric Neutralizes Stun Gun Jolt (Fark Thread)
- Company Develops Fabric that Neutralizes TASERs
- Internal TASER View
- Closeup Picture of the TASER's Probes The barb is actually a straight #8 fishhook. The length of the barb is 4 mm. The entire length of the shaft measures 9.5 mm. The barb will frequently attach to clothing and will fail to penetrate the skin. The electrical impulse can be conducted through up to 2 inches of clothing. (Additional Info)
- TASER M26 Electrical Block Diagram
- TASER Medical Studies
- How a TASER Works The stun gun shocks without killing - but how safe is it? Two experts take a look.
- Stainless Steel Rat's Club: DIY Stun Gun
- RedEye's Greg Gutfeld on TASERs June 11, 2008. (Original)
- Sticky Shocker (674k PDF)
- The Missing Tools are "Off-the-Shelf" (497k PDF)
- TASER-Proof Body Armor?
- Introducing TASER Proof Gear
- Neutralizing a TASER Gun Assault
- More Anti-TASER Tech Using clothing lined with steel wool. (Additional Info)
- Carleton University TASER Study Includes electrical waveforms and data. (150k PDF)
- TASER-Proof Clothing Creates New Hazard
- A Recipe for Disaster: School Cops are Being Armed with 50,000-Volt TASERs
- New TASER Weapons Produced For Crowd Control Stun gun manufacturer rolls out devices that promise to "drop everyone in a given area to the ground."
- Does Anyone Know if there is Anti-TASER Clothing Out There?
- TASER-Proof Clothing Ron Paul forums.
- Schneier on Security: TASERs
- Schneier on Security: Taser-Proof Clothing
- RCMP Told Not to Aim TASER Guns at the Chest
- TASER Makers Say Don't Aim at Chest
- TASER News The online resource to all the articles, reports, videos and facts about TASERs.
- Video Shows Minneapolis Cop TASERing Man With Hands On Car (Update)
- 81-Year-Old TASERed by Eielson Air Force Base Police
- Minneapolis Cop TASERs Man With Hands on Squad Car (YouTube) (Additional Info)
- Police Repeatedly TASER 76-year-old Man on a Tractor at a Town Parade "According to local media, Bud Grose was 'tasered repeatedly' after his 1958 John Deere tractor accidentally bumped the police car in the parade August 1."
- Mom in Minivan TASERed Twice in Salina Traffic Stop Camera captures deputy's rough roadside arrest.
- Teen Dies After Officers use TASER to Subdue Him
- An Electrifying Tour of the TASER Factory
- Wireless TASER: Whole New Kind of Weapon
- Latest TASER Could Zap Farther, Shock Longer, Hurt Kids
- Court to Cops: Stop Tasing People into Compliance
- Arkansas Police use TASER on 10-Year-Old Girl
- Cops TASER Barely Conscious Boy With Broken Back 19 Times for Non-Compliance
- Cons Teaching Cons How to Defeat TASERs
- Defeating the TASER in Combat
- TASER Ineffective...
- Defeating TASERs and Other Non-Lethal Weapons
- Defense Against a TASER
- Police: Man Stunned by TASER Had Been in Crash "The man who died after he was stunned with a Taser Sunday night was involved in a crash just minutes before he struggled with officers, Police Chief Michael Kelly said Monday."
- TASER Ruling Sets Standards for Police, Claims
- Cop Went Wild With TASER, Diabetic Says
- Mom TASERed in Front of Kids 'Posed No Threat' She has filed suit against cop who used device on her during traffic stop.
- Chicago Police Expanding TASER Use Announcement comes as man dies in suburbs after police use stun gun.
- TASER Tactics Four simple rules, by Don Stahlnecker. Concealed Carry Magazine, August/September 2009. (545k PDF)
- TASER Technology Concealed Carry Magazine, August/September 2009. (562k PDF)
- TASER Tools: C2 Electrifies Civilian Market by Duane A. Daiker. Concealed Carry Magazine, August/September 2009. (271k PDF)
- TASER Shocks Without Killing? IEEE Spectrum, December 2007. (1.1M PDF)
- Officers Accused of Using TASER on 10-Year-Old Two Martinsville officers suspended after day care incident.
- Russian Man Aims to Reinvent 'TASER' Technology
- State Law Allows Police Acting as Teachers to TASER School Children
- 'Don't Taze My Granny!'
- A Critical Look at TASER Policy and Effects
- Two Georgia Officers Out After Stun Gun Video Surfaces
- TASER Abuse Covered Up by Police
- California Cops TASER Senior Citizen in His Own Home
- Cops TASER Senior in His Own Home for Disobeying Command (YouTube)
- Missouri Police TASER Boy With Broken Back 19 Times (YouTube)
- Police Use Stun Gun on Pa. Man Battling House Fire Corrupt cops assault man trying to save his house.
- Healthy 28-Yearr-Old TASERed by Cops Has Heart Attack When will police stop using this lethal weapon?
- Blind Man TASERed by Police: "I Was Terrified" (Additional Info)
- Diabetic Cleburne Teen Hit With TASER After Crash
- TASERed 10-Year-Old Boy Sues Police The corrup New Mexico police officer's name is Chris Webb.
- Man TASERed by Police Calls it "Brutal" "Daniel Jensen wasn't running from the law, he was trying to protect his home from burning up. Pinellas Park Police tasered him in the process. Jensen and his attorney say it's an excessive use of force." (Additional Info)
- Video: Woman Tasered For Exercising 4th Amendment Rights Has Heart Attack
- No Justice for Woman TASERed to Brain Death A 20-year-old woman has been left in a coma after being TASERed by a Florida police officer while handcuffed. Doctors say the woman was left brain dead during the incident and will likely never wake up. The police officer involved in the incident has been cleared of any wrong doing. (YouTube) (Additional Info)
- Cop TASERs Handcuffed Girl in Back, Now Brain Dead
- TASER Death of 77-Year-Old Veteran with Alzheimer's Prompts Lawsuit 77-year-old Korean War Veteran Stanley L. Downen, who suffered from severe Alzheimer's, fell and hit his face on the pavement after being TASERed by police, resulting in his death three weeks later, according to a lawsuit filed by Downen's granddaughter. That dirty pig must be really proud of himself..
- Oregon State Police TASER 11-Year-Old Autistic Child Found Wandering Naked Lt. Gregg Hastings, Oregon PD Office: (503) 731-3020 x247 Pager: (503) 323-3195. What kind of psychopath can't handle a 11-year-old girl?
- More Than 530 TASER-Related Deaths in U.S. Since 2001
- High School Student in Critical Condition After Being TASERed by Cops
- Blue Island Cop Uses Stun Gun on Accident Victim Donald Flores needed help after a June 2012 hit-and-run incident. Instead, he says, police caused him further injury. Dirty Cop: Sgt. Schultz
- Civil Rights Lawsuit Alleges Deputies Burned Man's Genitals With TASER "A Southern California man is accusing Los Angeles County Sheriff's deputies in a federal civil rights lawsuit of attacking him and using a TASER on his genitals while his mother watched. Daniel Johnson, 26, filed the lawsuit in January against the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department after deputies allegedly threw him to the ground and attacked him for asking if he could pick up his father's cigarette to avoid a fine." Dirty Cops: Deputy (Ted?) Abdulfattah and Deputy Russell
- Tough Guy, Big Shot Police Officer TASERs Mentally Handicapped Man With His Hands Up Dayton police mistook a mentally handicapped teenager's speech impediment for disrespect, so they TASERed, pepper-sprayed, and beat him. (YouTube)
- Cops Almost Blind Man With TASER to the Eye During Routine Traffic Stop Matthew David Kelly is nearly blind after psychopath Fayette County (Ohio) Trooper Bryan Cook and Deputy Clinton Sines use a TASER on him and hit in the eye! (Additional Info) (YouTube)
- TASER Caution: Wikipedia