|GBPPR "Havana Syndrome" Experiments|
It appears to be possible to use high-power microwave electromagnetic radiation to induce certain physical effects into a human target.
These effects can include "hearing" tones or voices, or when modulated with a frequency at the mechanical resonant frequency (cranial resonance [PDF]) of the target's skull/brain cavity - physical pain (PDF). With even higher RF power, it's possible to cause seizures, fever, or even death due to the internal heating of the brain or other organs.
This phenomena has come to be called the "Havana Syndrome."
Supposedly, a similar type of "microwave weapon" system was recently used on CIA Officer Marc E. Polymeropoulos while he was staying at a hotel two blocks from the U.S. Embassy in Moscow, Russia.
Other CIA officers stationed in Russia, and then (((State Dept.))) employees, diplomats, war-mongers, and traitors with the U.S. and Canadian embassies in Cuba, started to report similar symptoms of pain, disorientation, and confusion while in their homes or hotels near the embassies. This also included hearing buzzing, screeching, or "cricket-like" sounds. Sounds like an X-Files episode...
Caution: (((Marc Polymeropoulos))) was one of the 51 "intelligence experts" who claimed the Hunter Biden laptop was "disinformation" in order to effect the outcome of the 2020 election (i.e., it has all the earmarks of the 'Deep State' not wanting Trump re-elected). His mental stability, security clearances, pension plan, and loyalty to the United States should be questioned at all times.
And in an interview with CBS' 60 Minutes for their "Targeting Americans" segment, one U.S. official (Olivia Troye) claimed she experienced these sympthoms within the "secure zone" surrounding the White House during the summer of 2019. While her claims should be viewed with skepticism (like Marc Polymeropoulos, she's also a brain-dead, anti-Trump, 'Deep State' tool and traitor), it could point to a foreign intelligence service operating on U.S. soil with complete impunity, most likely Israel or China.
Note that calling the effects of these alleged microwave attacks the "Havana Syndrome" is very detrimental to the people of Cuba, who did nothing wrong and only appear to be swept-up in this frenzy.
The new name for people suffering those symptoms will now be called the "Befuddlement, Incompetence, Disorientation, Embarrassment, & Nausea (BIDEN) Syndrome."
But was this REALLY a secret Russian microwave weapon attack? We don't know...
This microwave radiation "attack" SHOULD NOT be confused with the infamous "Moscow Signal" which targeted the U.S. Embassy, and other intelligence targets, from the 1950s to 1980s (and beyond).
Those relatively low-level microwave carriers between 0.3-10 GHz were used to power resonant cavity surveillance devices planted within the embassy, to extract intelligence from unshielded telephones/microphones/speakers and cryptographic gear via RF flooding types of attacks, intentional jamming of U.S. technical surveillance and intelligence collection systems; like GAMMA GUPPY, microwave imaging of secure locations within an embassy or safe house, and supposedly to even manipulate human behavior.
Update: National Security Archive has posted a declassified document collection on microwave transmissions aimed at U.S. Moscow Embassy from 1953-1979 and the diplomatic controversy.
- Learning from the Enemy: The GUNMAN Project (16M PDF)
- Learning from the Enemy: The GUNMAN Project United States Cryptologic History, Series VI, Vol. 13. (Redacted Version) (19M PDF)
- An Invisible Threat Are microwave radiation waves killing us? (YouTube)
It should also not be confused with acoustic weapons, such as the LRAD, which are just basically very high-power directional speakers.
It should also not be confused with the Active Denial System which uses very high RF power (CW) at 95 GHz to quickly increase the outer skin temperature of a human target.
One should note that there is a well-known method of "jamming" audio microphones by generating multiple ultrasonic (out-of-band) carriers modulated with random noise. These carriers then mix within the electronics of the microphone itself, leaving only the "in-band noise" portion of the signal which greatly decreases the effect of the microphone. It's certainly possible that sensitive intelligence targets, such as an embassy or diplomat residence, would have these installed and the resulting mixing products of such a jammer could possibly be "hearable" by certain people with sensitive high-frequency hearing.
It's possible to attenuate or even defeat RF-based weapons (and eavesdropping) by surrounding the target area with conductive fabric or protective window film.
Here's a cool thesis paper entitled A Wideband Microwave Surveillance Receiver by Andre Varin which can be used as the basis for a pulsed/CW microwave weapon detection receiver.
Here's a surprisingly good "Havana Syndrome" podcast by Jon Lee Anderson and Adam Entous at VICE World News. It includes research, interviews, and information not reported elsewhere on apparent victims of this attack. Surprisingly good, compared to VICE's typical crap:
We Set Out to Solve the Mystery of 'Havana Syndrome.' Here's What We Found. A new investigative podcast from VICE World News uncovers deeply held secrets about the world of global espionage.
- Part 1: Get Off the X Tina Onufer thought she was getting a plum gig at the newly reopened U.S. embassy in Havana, Cuba. Then she has a bizarre incident in her kitchen that makes her question everything. Reporters Jon Lee Anderson and Adam Entous set out to solve what happened to Tina and other victims of the so-called 'Havana Syndrome.'
- Part 2: The Diplomat and the Spy A White House official leads top-secret negotiations between the U.S. and Cuba in an effort to restore trust. Little does he realize the CIA has other plans.
- Part 3: Immaculate Concussion Dozens of 'Havana Syndrome' patients are secretly whisked away to the University of Pennsylvania for study and treatment. Doctors are shocked by what they find.
- Part 4: Adios y Hasta Nunca Jon Lee and Adam fly to Havana, Cuba to investigate the earliest 'Havana Syndrome' cases. What they find on the ground fuels more questions than answers.
- Part 5: Anyone, Anywhere, at Any Time The U.S. consulate in Guangzhou, China becomes the site of a mysterious outbreak of illnesses, and the White House takes notice. Is 'Havana Syndrome' spreading?
- Part 6: If There's a 'There,' There Adam receives an anonymous tip, which sends down the rabbit hole to investigate decades-old incidents in which the Soviet Union repeatedly aimed microwaves at the U.S. Embassy in Moscow.
- Part 7: Vienna Rules The largest outbreak of 'Havana Syndrome' illnesses is reported in Vienna, Austria. Adam and Jon Lee travel there to explore why the city has become a hotbed of spycraft.
- Part 8: Deny Everything, Admit Nothing Adam and Jon Lee try to piece it all together, and find that there’s a big hole in what they’ve found thus far. Luckily, a mysterious source comes out of the woodwork to fill in the blanks.
- What Was Havana Syndrome? Matthew Gault of Motherboard Cyber interviews Jesse Alejandro Cottrell, a producer of the above podcast.
Project Brazen also has a very good podcast titled "The Sound: Mystery of Havana Syndrome" which is hosted by Nicky Woolf, who is horrible at doing any actual reporting or reseach and is mostly just a tool for the One Percent at The Guardian.
- Chapter 1: Jericho There's a mysterious outbreak of neurological problems among American spies and diplomats in Cuba. We document the first cases via never before heard accounts from Havana, while we parse through classified intelligence to learn how this all started. (Transcript)
- Chapter 2: The Immaculate Concussion Cases are spreading. Investigators flock to Cuba and politicians look for a culprit. We break down the early investigations by the U.S. and Cuban governments while our own ramps up. And we see a political narrative start to take shape. (Transcript)
- Chapter 3: Speak of the Devil When recordings of a strange sound in Havana go public, some wonder if these health problems are real or imagined. We take a critical look through the research - and enlist the help of a mentalist - to try to answer the question: is this whole thing in our heads? (Transcript)
- Chapter 4: The Frey Effect The story is bigger than Cuba now. Cases are being reported on nearly every continent, so some investigators propose a new, strange theory. We wade into the science to see if 'Havana Syndrome' is just the latest in a long pattern of attacks using microwave energy. (Transcript)
- Chapter 5: The Great British Nuke Off We head to the U.K. to build a microwave device that could be the key to the mystery. And we take a deep-dive into the American military industrial complex to see what the future of warfare and weaponry looks like. Is 'Havana Syndrome' just the beginning of something much scarier? (Transcript)
- Chapter 6: A Silent Injury A CIA officer in Moscow gets sick, and his story fundamentally changes the narrative surrounding 'Havana Syndrome.' We hear first-hand accounts of Soviet radiation that go back decades, and learn that the Cold War may have never really ended. (Transcript)
- Chapter 7: The Two Exits We go to the scenes of the crime in Cuba where we find "the sound" and see the human impact of the 'Havana Syndrome' story. The U.S. Embassy has reopened just as Cubans leave the island en masse. Transcript)
- Chapter 8: Hammers and Nails We answer our central question: What happened here? And we try to chart the path forward for 'Havana Syndrome' victims. (Transcript)
- Bonus: Fresh Doubts Out of Washington While we were crafting our last few episodes, some big news dropped. A new report from the CIA and other intel agencies found that no foreign actor, attack or technology could be behind the Anomalous Health Incidents, a.k.a Havana Syndrome. Co-creators Nicky Woolf and Max Johnston sift through the noise to find out what's going on.
Our system will consist of using a RF microwave carrier amplitude-modulated or sideband-modulated (depending on application) with a variable modulating frequency to "sweep" for the proper resonant frequency of the target's skull. A standard parabolic, Yagi, or phased-array antenna system is used to radiate the RF signal. High-gain, narrow-beamwidth antennas are required in order to target only a individual person.
At the target, the induced acoustic waves will be reflected internally within the skull, further exciting the mechanical resonance of the skull, which is around 6-13 kHz for a typical adult human.
The final result is to (apparently) induce a "thermoelastic expansion" physical phenomena in which the RF signal is converted to an acoustic signal within the targeted individual, hopefully inducing similar symptoms of pain, disorientation, fatigue, nausea, vertigo, dizziness, brain fog, confusion, cognitive problems, etc.
Example uses for this device can be for distracting VIP protection services (or drivers) during an undocumented impeachment, causing confusion in a target while a surveillance device is surreptitiously planted in their residence (or their security credentials are copied), disrupting speeches giving by political leaders, non-contact torture during enhanced interrogations, or even by covertly harassing "experts," "skeptics," and (((fact checkers))) for the lulz.
The use of high-power microwave electromagnetic radiation to induce "sound" into a target is widely document as the Microwave Auditory Effect and was first discovered by radar operators standing in front of their radar antenna dishes during World War 2.
Allan H. Frey, a biophysicist at General Electric, was the first to scientifically document this phenomena after being contacted by a radar technician who claimed he could "hear" the radar pulses and remembering a similar technical note published by Airborne Instruments Labs in 1956. Hence the term "Frey Effect" is often used to describe the microwave auditory effect.
In a 1996 USENET posting, Allan H. Frey made this comment:
"There is a microwave hearing effect that occurs at very low power densities and a skull vibration effect that occurs when very high energies are applied to the head. There is some confusion in the literature because the vibration effect has often been referred to as a microwave hearing effect, but it is not the same phenomena."
The U.S. military refers to this hearing phenomena as "Voice to Skull" or "V2K." It may even be the foundation for their so-called "Voice of God" microwave weapons.
The military's (public) version of this device was named the "Mob Excess Deterrent Using Silent Audio (MEDUSA)" and the original $100,000 contract went to Dr. Lev Sadovnik of the WaveBand Corporation, which he co-founded, and was later acquired by Sierra Nevada Corporation.
Their MEDUSA device appears to use a standard pulse-magnetron, most likely a S-band (2.7-3.0 GHz) pulsed magnetron, like a MG55223F or similar.
They've released very little public information released on their research, but I'm sure they had no problems spending our tax dollars...
MEDUSA Summary Information (Mirror)
"The main goal of the Phase I project was to design and build a breadboard prototype of a temporary personnel incapacitation system called MEDUSA (Mob Excess Deterrent Using Silent Audio). This non-lethal weapon is based on the well established microwave auditory effect (MAE). MAE results in a strong sound sensation in the human head when it is irradiated with specifically selected microwave pulses of low energy. Through the combination of pulse parameters and pulse power, it is possible to raise the auditory sensation to the "discomfort" level, deterring personnel from entering a protected perimeter or, if necessary, temporarily incapacitating particular individuals.
The major results of the Phase I effort were that - An operating frequency was chosen - Hardware requirements were established (commercial magnetron, high-voltage pulse former) - Hardware was designed and built - Power measurements were taken and the required pulse parameters confirmed - Experimental evidence of MAE was observed.
Potential applications of the MEDUSA system are as a perimeter protection sensor in deterrence systems for industrial and national sites, for use in systems to assist communication with hearing impaired persons, use by law enforcement and military personnel for crowd control and asset protection. The system will: be portable, require low power, have a controllable radius of coverage, be able to switch from crowd to individual coverage, cause a temporarily incapacitating effect, have a low probability of fatality or permanent injury, cause no damage to property, and have a low probability of affecting friendly personnel."
Needless to say, we'll name our device the "Portable Electromagnetic Radiation System Electrifying Unwitting Subjects (PERSEUS)."
In order to use this "sound" to cause pain or confusion, the modulating frequency must be close to the resonant frequency of the human head/skull/brain of the target.
Thankfully, this work was already done by James Lin in 1977 (and Nikolaos Uzunoglu in 1988 and N.M. Yitzhak in 2009) with the frequency range working out to be around 6-13 kHz for an adult human skull.
Since this frequency range also falls within the frequency range used by certain crickets, one can mask the use of a microwave weapon by using RF carrier frequencies near the cellular phone bands (800/900/1700/1800/1900/2100 MHz, etc) and modulating the carrier with a similar "cricket" sound. LOL!
Audio Spectrum of a Caribbean Cricket
Because all humans are different, it will be necessary to tune the modulating frequency to the specific target, maximizing the effect of the attack. This can usually be accomplished while covertly monitoring the physical response(s) of the target.
Figures from U.S. Patent No. 6,470,214
Most of the technical information on generating the microwave auditory effect comes from U.S. Patent No. 6,470,214 which was assigned to inventor James P. O'Loughlin with the U.S. Air Force Research Laboratory in 2002.
His work appears to use a conventional double-balanced mixer design to generate a carrier-suppressed double-sideband RF carrier. For our experiments, we'll be using a Watkins-Johnson (M/A-COM) M1G mixer which covers 1-4 GHz with a standard +7 dBm LO. The IF input will be used for the audio modulation input. Double-balanced mixers naturally suppress the carrier on their output, so for AM modulation we'll need to either re-insert the carrier with a combiner or add a little bit of DC-bias on the IF port to allow for some of the LO carrier to feed through.
The audio modulation is processed with a simple low-pass filter at around 4 kHz and the sent to a "pre-distortion" circuit which takes the square root of the audio signal. That circuit is required in order to reproduced an undistorted signal within the target, as the actual demodulation within the target's head ("spherical demodulator") is non-linear. An example of a "square root" circuit and an accompanying "absolute value" circuit are in the Analog Devices AD538 datasheet (see Figure 17).
A suppressed-carrier system is used because the RF carrier itself contains no information and only contributes to localized heating of the target. It will also only output RF power when a modulating signal is present, which is common for sideband-type systems.
A FOIA request by Sharon Weinberger for her article "Mind Games" (Mirror) provides us with further technical (and mathematical) details. Weinberger was also able to uncover the Air Forces' codenames for these microwave weapons programs as Projects HELLO (Frey effect), GOODBYE (ADS), and GOODNIGHT (How to kill people!).
The U.S. Air Force apparently performed actual human experimentation of this technique in October of 1994. They used a RF carrier frequency of 1 GHz with an incident RF power density of 100 mW/cm2. That may not seem like a lot, but it would require hundreds of kilowatts of RF power and a high-gain antenna system to get any measurable effects out to a messily 100 feet. They also initially used just regular AM modulation, but encountered distortion issues when trying to transmit "voices." This is what lead to the development of the audio pre-processing circuit and the suppressed-carrier sideband system.
An obscure Russian Patent No. 2,526,478 (English PDF) titled "Method and Device of Microwave Electromagnetic Impact at Trespasser" is probably a good look at what an actual "Havana Syndrome" microwave weapon would consist of.
This patent references using the microwave auditory effect with a modulation targeting the mechanical resonant frequency of a target's skull to "disable a trespasser." It appears to have been issued in 2014 and references numerous U.S. patents pertaining similar work. While lacking any real technical information, the ideas in the Russian patent do appear to be plausible.
Russian Patent No. 2,526,478
"The technical result is achieved by the fact that it is proposed to use directional radiation modulated by amplitude of the microwave electromagnetic waves. The impact on the intruder is due to the occurrence of painful mechanical thermoelastic phenomena in individual elements of the human auditory apparatus at their resonant frequencies"
"Resonance phenomena in the 'radio sound' are due to the size of individual elements of the human auditory apparatus and are observed in the range of modulation frequencies of 6 ... 12 kHz."
"1. The method of microwave electromagnetic exposure to the intruder, characterized in that the effect is carried out by an amplitude-modulated microwave electromagnetic field with a changing modulation frequency, while the amplitude modulation frequencies are taken in the range of mechanical resonant frequencies of the intruder's head and individual elements of his hearing organ. 2. A microwave device for electromagnetic influence on an intruder, comprising a microwave generator with a radiating antenna, characterized in that an amplitude modulator and a low-frequency tuner are introduced into it, configured to tune to the mechanical resonant frequency of the intruder's head and individual elements of its hearing organs. The output of the low-frequency tuning unit is connected to the control input of the amplitude modulator, the output of which is connected to the control input of the microwave generator."
Interestingly, a Rossiyskaya Gazeta article from 2012 titled "Worse than a Bullet" (Mirror) brags about how during the the Soviet-era, a laboratory was created and headed by Colonel Mikhail Bazhanov:
"The USSR jumped ahead of the United States in creating weapons using truly 'new physical principles.' ...Alas, to break the psyche and even kill a person with the help of directed electromagnetic radiation of a certain frequency, so to speak, 'scientists' still learned. But here a sign regularity has long been manifested. Those who created and used psychotronic 'generators of death' themselves quickly died, most often from cancer. There are, probably, topics forbidden for knowledge by Nature itself."
It should be noted that it was Russian scientists who developed the gyrotron, a high-power microwave RF device originally designed for particle accelerators, but can be easily adapted to kill people...
An official Russian military article from 2019 titled In Search of "Humane" Weapons (Mirror) contains the following curious section:
Efficiently disables radio-electronic equipment for reconnaissance, communications, navigation and control of microwave radiation. Microwave weapons disrupt the functioning of the brain and central nervous system. A person begins to hear non-existent noises and whistles. This weapon can also affect the internal organs of a person with a probability of death.
When exposed to low-frequency electromagnetic radiation, the human brain releases chemicals that regulate its behavior. They can cause symptoms of various diseases, make a person instantly fall asleep or, on the contrary, stay awake for a long time. And the so-called "electromagnetic pistols," which shoot clots of energy, can cause convulsions similar to epileptic ones. "Thermal gun" in seconds can heat up the human body to a critical temperature - over 40 degrees Celsius. An unbearable burning sensation puts the soldier to flight.
The development of "military microwave ovens" was held back for a long time by their huge dimensions, but recently such devices have significantly decreased in size and can be installed on a tank turret and even in the head of a tactical missile. Microwave generators are thrown into enemy territory using conventional ammunition. However, there are also technical problems, consisting in the difficulty of obtaining radiation of the required power at an acceptable mass, dimensions and cost of the installation.
A more recent patent, U.S Patent No. 7,841,989 titled "Electromagnetic Personnel Interdiction Control Method and System" describes a microwave weapon which:
"A non-lethal and non-destructive electromagnetic personnel interdiction control stun type weapon system and method utilizes beamed radio frequency energy in a frequency range and modulated to impose a Lorentz force on the vestibular system or sensory cells of a remote human subject sufficient to disrupt the mechanical transduction process and/or the chemical engine by which sound, position and other sensory input are converted to messages by nerve cells and processed by the brain to produce complete disorientation, confusion, and incapacitation sufficient to temporarily render the subject powerless to resist arrest or subjugation."
Umm... O.K. The work was initially done by Invocon for the U.S. Marines and resulted in a microwave weapon which they called the "Electromagnetic Personnel Interdiction Control (EPIC)."
It appears to cause "confusion" within the target by using pulsed microwave energy to influence their vestibular system.
This inner-ear system gives us our sense of balance and apparently energizing our inner-ear with microwave pulses/modulation at the mechanical resonant frequency of those little "hairs" will make them oscillate, resulting in a sensation of spinning or dizziness within the target, maybe even causing them to vomit...
The experimental EPIC system used a carrier frequency of 915 MHz modulated (AM? sideband?) with a 300 Hz audio modulation. The RF output power was 1.3 kW (+61 dBm) into a 20 dB gain high-gain (directional) antenna for an Effective Radiated Power (ERP) around 125 kW. This amount of power was required to create the necessary power density of 105 W/m2 at a distance of only 10 meters (33 feet).
Figure from U.S. Patent No. 7,841,989
EPIC (Electromagnetic Personnel Interdiction Control)
"The Marine Corps has a requirement for a non-destructive stun weapon that would render a hostile war fighter ineffective for a period of time. There is significant political and military interest in such a capability. In addition, the ability to remotely incapacitate a human being without permanent damage would be a landmark event in the field of civil law enforcement. The desirability of waging bloodless war to counter threats to national security is virtually limitless since both military and civil authority could determine a priori when and if loss of human life is necessary. IVC proposes to investigate the use of beamed RF energy to excite and interrupt the normal process of human hearing and equilibrium. The focus will be in two areas. (1) Interruption of the mechanical transduction process by which sound and position (relative to gravity) are converted to messages that are processed by the brain. (2) Interruption of the chemical engine which sustains the proper operation of the nerve cells that respond to the mechanical transduction mechanisms referenced in item (1). Interruption of either or both of these processes has been clinically shown to produce complete disorientation and confusion. Second order effects would be extreme motion sickness.
This RFP (Mirror) asks for a weapon that can 'temporarily incapacitate' a human threat as a point or area target. In short, a Star Trek hand-held Phaser Weapon set on 'Stun.' It would be the ultimate in individual weaponry providing an individual war fighter with the ability to reduce an opponent to helplessness while doing no permanent damage. The requirement also states the need for the weapon to operate through walls and other protective mediums that now provide cover for combatants in urban warfare situations. This capability would increase the effectiveness of a war-fighter in urban combat for two reasons: (1) the enemy could be engaged and neutralized through a wall; and (2) the damage of friendly fire mistakes would be minimized since on permanent damage would be done by the stun weapons. The civilian applications of such a weapon would be a landmark event in law enforcement. The civil authority could always protect themselves from lethal threats while still delivering targets to the justice system unharmed. Further, the critical decision now placed on law enforcement as to whether or not lethal responses are necessary could be virtually eliminated since use of the 'stun' weapon could neutralize a perceived threat without permanent damage."
This also appears to be the same device mentioned in the Wired article titled "Navy Researching Vomit Beam" (Mirror).
In a related article titled "EXCLUSIVE: Doctors Reveal Details of Neuro-Weapon Attacks in Havana," which interviews Dr. James Giordano, contains this statement:
"Giordano said directed energy weapons can cause these injuries by creating 'cavitation,' or air pockets, in fluids near the inner ear. The shape of the inner ear amplifies sounds and waveforms to cause the effect. The process creates air bubbles, or cavities, that eventually burst. Near the inner ear are two pathways carrying blood to the brain - the cochlear aqueduct and the vestibular aqueduct. The bubbles can travel rapidly up the aqueducts into the brain where they can 'function as a stroke,' Giordano said."
In a reseach paper titled "FDTD Analysis of Microwave Hearing Effect," (PDF) researchers in Japan performed a detailed analysis of the thermoelastic waves created as a result of the microwave hearing effect.
Their results show that a 20 µs pulse duration at 915 MHz with an incident power density of only 1 mW/cm2 is capable of generating "pressure waves" in the 7-9 kHz in a human head model. These frequencies correspond to the approximate acoustic resonant frequencies of the human head model. If the pulse duration is approxiate half the period of the mechanical resonant frequency of the target head (i.e. resonant frequency of 8 kHz = 125 µs period, so pulse widths around 62 µs) then constructive interference can occur, causing the induced thermoelastic waves to build in amplitude. If the pulses are longer in duration, then the waves tend to cancel each other due to being out of phase.
"The resonance frequency of pressure waves in the head has been shown to be 7-9 kHz in our analysis. A microwave pulsewidth duration of a half-cycle of the resonant frequency, i.e., about 50µs, most efficiently excites thermoelastic waves because the thermal stress energy is fully integrated into thermoelastic waves. If the pulse duration is longer than this, phase cancellation of elastic waves occurs. When the pulse duration is one-cycle of the resonance frequency, the phase cancellation is most remarkable and the elastic waves are not excited efficiently."
A continuation of Nir M. Yitzhak's research resulted in a paper titled "Numerical Simulation of Pressure Waves in the Cochlea Induced by a Microwave Pulse" (PDF).
The paper contains this statement for pulses at 915 MHz:
"In all models, the strongest acoustic response occurs at the frequency of about 8 kHz, which represents the fundamental resonance frequency of sound generation in the human head. The occurrence of a peak in the acoustic power spectrum near 8 kHz persists also for other electromagnetic frequencies, irradiation directions, polarizations and pulse widths, although secondary peaks, in the range between 1 kHz and about 30 kHz also appear."
Calculated power spectra of the pressure waves at the cochlea.
In 2015, researchers at the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science released a paper titled "Pathophysiology of Microwave-Induced Traumatic Brain Injury" (PDF) in which they concluded that it was possible to cause "traumatic brain injury" in rats using only around 3 kW of microwave energy at 2.45 GHz. The paper concludes with the line "... microwave-induced neurotrauma shows the same pathological changes as blast traumatic brain injury," which kinda sounds like the symptoms of a brain concussion which have been reported to be caused via the "Havana Syndrome."
A 2021 research paper titled "Computational Modeling Investigation of Pulsed High Peak Power Microwaves and the Potential for Traumatic Brain Injury" (PDF, Supp. PDF) dives deep into the effects of microwave pulses in the 1-2 GHz range on the human brain and attempts to ask the question, "Can high peak power pulsed microwaves cause adverse health effects in addition to the microwave auditory effect?" Their results are quite informative:
- Certain Microwave Frequencies Can Cause Brain Injuries
- Traumatic Brain Injury Damage May Come From Tiny Bubble Bursts
"The peaks at 9.7 kHz are in agreement with previous research that microwave-induced cochlear microphonics in humans should be between 7 and 10 kHz and should not be influenced by the orientation of the body axis to the electrical field...
Although the brain is believed to naturally vary in temperature between 1° and 3°C, these changes occur relatively slowly through changes in cerebral blood flow. This study has shown that, by applying a small temperature increase (<0.0005°C) in a very short amount of time (less than several microseconds), potentially injurious stress waves are created. The temperatures presented in this study are well below the threshold (8°C) known to cause unconsciousness in rodents following a single HPM pulse.
While the peak power densities used within this simulation study are large, they are achievable with known microwave hardware. For example, to produce a power density of 1,000,000 mW/cm2 at 25 m away from a 40 dBi antenna, a microwave source would require approximately 8 MW of power per pulse."
In an article from Military Medicine titled "Vehicle-Mounted High-Power Microwave Systems and Health Risk Communication in a Deployed Environment" contains the following statement:
"Improvised explosive devices (IEDs) have been used against coalition forces to deadly effect in Iraq and Afghanistan. Among the many innovations fielded to counter this threatare vehicle-mounted high-power microwave (HPM) systems. HPM devices such as the "Jackal" and "Calilgo" use directional radio frequency (RF) antennas to assist in the neutralization of IEDs via detection or premature detonation.
"In the fall of 2011, four out of six soldiers from two separate teams experienced symptoms of nausea and headache during routine night convoy operations in southwest Asia. The first team reported their symptoms immediately after completing their mission and expressed concerns that their symptoms had been caused by a malfunctioning counter-IED system ontheir vehicle. Members of the second team arrived later and were told what had happened to the first team. Two out of the six soldiers also endorsed having had nosebleeds, which each considered to be an unusual event. Both teams were sent to the Combat Support Hospital for evaluation. None of the soldiers experienced any unusual sensation of thermal energy while in their vehicles. None of the soldiers complained of a recurrence of their symptoms after the mission."
"The soldiers’ perception that their symptoms had been caused by a malfunctioning HPM device was due in part to aperceived temporal relationship. Both teams reported that their symptoms began 30 minutes after the devices had been placed in "transmit," and subsided when the devices were placed on standby during breaks in the mission; their symptoms returned when the devices were reactivated."
100 Watt RF Power Amplifier for 2 GHz This project covers the final RF output amplifier.
4 Watt RF Power Amplifier for 2 GHz This project covers the RF pre-amplifier required to drive the final RF power amplifier.
The RF power amplifier was tweaked a bit to clean up the wiring. The soldered ground wire was replaced with a crimped lug and placed under one of the PC board mounting bolts for a more secure mounting.
RF input to the final transistor in the RF power amplifer was modified to be on the otherside of the attenuator (marked "N10" on the PCB).
Using RF carrier frequencies in the 1.9-2.0 GHz will potentially allow one to "mask" the use of a device by hiding it the noise created by cellular phone base station downlinks.
The Motorola MHL19338-based RF drive amplifer was modifed from the original project to fit inside the case of an old cellular-band receive pre-amplifier. An optional 20 dB directional coupler on the input can be used for monitoring the input RF signal.
This amplifier requires +28 VDC at around 500 mA. At 2 GHz, a +6.3 dBm input generated a +34.1 dBm output.
Large white vans will make a great "moving system" and cover for your covert operations.
Notes / Links / Papers
- Pulsed Microwave Attacks on U.S., Canadian, Embassy and Security Personnel: The Havana Syndrome by Peter Mooring, STOPEG Foundation
- Auditory System Response to Radio Frequency Energy Aerospace Medical Association Meeting, 1961 (1.5M PDF)
- Human Auditory System Response to Modulated Electromagnetic Energy Journal of Applied Physiology, Vol. 17, No. 4, July 1962 (PDF, HTML)
- Human Perception of Illumination with Pulsed Ultrahigh-Frequency Electromagnetic Energy Science, Vol. 181, No. 4097 (Jul. 27, 1973), pp. 356-358 by Allan H. Frey and Rodman Messenger, Jr. (PDF)
- Biological Function as Influenced by Low Power Modulated RF Energy IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Technique, 1971 (PDF)
- Effects of Microwaves and Radio Frequency Energy on the Central Nervous System 1969 (PDF)
- Microwave Hearing: Evidence for Thermoacoustic Auditory Stimulation by Pulsed Microwaves 1974 (PDF)
- Pulse Modulated UHF Energy Illumination of the Heart Associated with Change in Heart Rate 1968 (PDF)
- Neural Function and Behavior: Defining the Relationship 1975 (PDF)
- Effect of Microwave Radiation on Human EEG at Two Different Levels of Exposure 2012 (PDF)
- Oxidative Mechanisms of Biological Activity of Low-Intensity Radiofrequency Radiation 2015 (PDF)
- High Exposure to Radio Frequency Radiation Associated with Cancer in Male Rats NTP releases final reports on rat and mouse studies of radio frequency radiation like that used in 2G and 3G cell phone technologies. (PDF)
- Hearing of Microwave Pulses by Humans and Animals: Effects, Mechanism, and Thresholds 2007 (PDF)
- Impairment of Long-Term Potentiation Induction is Essential for the Disruption of Spatial Memory After Microwave Exposure 2013 (PDF)
- Modification of Heart Function with Low Intensity Electromagnetic Energy 1986 (PDF)
- A Psychophysical Study of the RF Sound Phenomenon 1972
- Pulsed Microwave Energy Transduction of Acoustic Phonon Related Brain Injury 2020 (PDF)
- Neural Cell Injury Pathology Due to High-Rate Mechanical Loading (PDF) (Additional Info)
- Engineers Make Headway in Tackling Traumatic Brain Injuries "Franck believes this new cellular injury pathology could be occurring in the mysterious cases of 'Havana Syndrome'"
- Effects of Radiofrequency Electromagnetic Radiation on Neurotransmitters in the Brain 2021 (PDF)
- Symptoms Reported by Canadians Posted in Havana are Linked with Reduced White Matter Fibre Density Brain Commun. 2022 Mar 7;4(2):fcac053 (PDF)
- Clinical and Psychological Factors Associated With Return to Work Among United States Diplomats Who Sustained a Work-Related Injury While on Assignment in Havana, Cuba J Occup Environ Med. 2022;64(3):212-217. (PDF)
- Microwave-Induced Acoustic Effects in Mammalian Auditory Systems and Physical Materials 1975 (PDF)
- Effects of High-Intensity Microwave Pulse Exposure Rat Brain 1982 (PDF)
- Microwave-Induced Auditory Responses in Guinea Pigs: Relationship of Threshold and Microwave-Pulse Duration 1979 (PDF)
- Cochlear Microphonics Generated by Microwave Pulses 1975 (PDF)
- Transmission of Microwave-Induced Intracranial Sound to the Inner Ear is Most Likely Through Cranial Aqueducts 2002 (PDF)
- Characteristics of Microwave-Induced Cochlearmicrophonic 1977 (PDF)
- Auditory Response to Pulsed Radiofrequency Energy 2003 (PDF)
- Human Auditory Perception of Pulsed Radiofrequency Energy by J.A. Elder and C. K. Chou (88k PDF)
- Numerical Analysis of the Microwave Auditory Effect 2014 (PDF)
- Electromagnetic Field Interactions with Biological Systems 1993 (PDF)
- Headaches From Cellular Telephones: Are They Real and What are the Implications? 1998 (PDF)
- Effects of 1.5 and 4.3 GHz Microwave Radiation on Cognitive Function and Hippocampal Tissue Structure in Wistar Rats 2021 (PDF) (Additional Info)
- Claims of Microwave Attacks are Scientifically Implausible There’s little evidence for an unknown weapon being behind "Havana syndrome," by Cheryl Rofer (Mirror)
- The Secret History of Diplomats and Invisible Weapons The alleged use of a "sound weapon" against U.S. Embassy officials in Cuba harks back to a Cold War medical mystery, by Sharon Weinberger (Mirror)
- Havana Syndrome: "Sonic Attacks" at the U.S. Embassy in Cuba - Mass Hysteria? via Metabunk
- Secret of 'Microwave Weapons' Targeting U.S. Diplomats Revealed The rise and fall of ‘Havana Syndrome’ is a story of lazy assumptions and sloppy reporting, by Paul Robinson
- Mother of U.S. Diplomat Hurt in 'Health Attack' Speaks Out Similar attack in China
- Reality Check on Russia's 'Zombie Ray Gun' Program
- 'Havana Syndrome' Symptoms in Small Group Most Likely Caused by Directed Energy Injuries suffered by several dozen diplomats and spies were consistent with directed energy, the panel said.
- Washington’s 'Havana Syndrome' Promoters Have a Lot to Answer For The CIA's abrupt turnabout on the issue of imaginary microwave ray guns left a lot of lawmakers without a favorite political prop. (Mirror)
- With 'Havana Syndrome,' Washington is Repeating Colin Powell's Worst Mistake Evidence-free accounts of spooky weapons bedeviling American diplomats have lawmakers jumping at shadows—and talking of war. (Mirror)
- Havana Syndrome Victims to Receive Financial Support Under New Law Biden signs measure to compensate U.S. diplomats, spies and others hit with mysterious neurological affliction. (Mirror)
- CIA Begins Compensating Victims of Havana Syndrome (Mirror)
- Exclusive: FBI Agents in the U.S. Report Symptoms of Mystery Syndrome Avenge Marty Kaiser! (YouTube)
- Some 'Havana Syndrome' Cases Likely Caused by Electromagnetic Waves, Panel Finds Acoustic devices are a second likely cause of the debilitating condition, say intelligence experts. (Mirror)
- Are U.S. Officials Under Silent Attack? The Havana Syndrome first affected spies and diplomats in Cuba. Now it has spread to the White House. (Mirror)
- The Mystery of the 'Havana Syndrome' Unexplained brain injuries afflicted dozens of American diplomats and spies. What happened? (Mirror)
- Cuban Embassy Attacks and the Microwave Auditory Effect Via Hack-a-DAY
- 'Havana Syndrome' and the Mystery of the Microwaves
- 'Havana Syndrome' Related Stories and Comments via Hacker News
- Malice, Stupidity and Brain Melting Microwave Ray Guns Locklin on Science (Patents)
- External Energy Source May Explain 'Havana Syndrome,' Panel Finds (Mirror)
- CIA Station Chief in Vienna Recalled Amid Criticism of Management and Handling of Mysterious 'Havana Syndrome' Incidents (Mirror)
- A Fake Russian Ray Gun Destroyed the Media's B.S. Detector "That should have raised the hackles of anyone with a functioning BS detector, which, last I checked, journalists are supposed to have." From the same (((people))) who spent four years spreading lies about Trump... (Mirror)
- IC: Directed-Energy Could Explain Some 'Havana Syndrome' Cases
- Russian Spy Unit Suspected of Directed-Energy Attacks on U.S. Personnel
- If a Weapon Didn't Cause 'Havana Syndrome,' What Did?
- The Real Story Behind the Havana Embassy Mystery (Mirror)
- Havana Syndrome has 'Dramatically Hurt' Morale, U.S. Diplomats Say
- A Declassified State Department Report Says Microwaves Didn’t Cause 'Havana Syndrome'
- 'Havana Syndrome' Demonstrates the Power of Suggestion Researchers are finally learning why U.S. spies and diplomats are suffering from noise-related illness. The explanation seems to lie with neuroscience, not fiendish weaponry. (Mirror)
- The Sound and the Fury: Inside the Mystery of the Havana Embassy (Mirror)
- Is Russia Inflicting Brain Damage on CIA Officers and Diplomats? (Mirror)
- The Havana Syndrome: Unraveling the Mystery Why are U.S. diplomats abroad being attacked with directed-energy weapons? (Mirror)
- 'Havana Syndrome' is Likely Real, Feds Admit by Paul Brodeur
- Will the Media Finally Learn Something From Its Fake 'Havana Syndrome' Debacle? (Mirror)
- Scientists are Skeptical that 'Havana Syndrome' is Anything More than a Psychogenic Illness
- 'Havana Syndrome' or a Case for Eliminating the Implausible Diplomats in Cuba fell ill. Some suspected a secret weapon. Five years later, a more benign explanation remains.
- Is 'Havana Syndrome' a New Method of Covert Sabotage Or all in our heads? (Mirror)
- 'Havana Syndrome,' Directed Energy Weapons, and the New Cold War While the jury is still out on who committed the attacks against U.S. officials, or even whether there were any attacks at all, directed energy weapons certainly do exist. Havana Syndrome might be science fiction, but directed energy weapons are very much science fact.
- Shitposters Aren’t Buying 'Havana Syndrome' for a Single Second Quality shitposting by Miles Klee
- U.S. Diplomats Under Attack? First, it was sonic weapons, now microwave. What’s next, kryptonite?
- The Secrets of the So-Called 'Havana Syndrome' (Mirror)
- Battlefield Brain: The 'Havana Syndrome' and Direct Energy Attacks on U.S. Personnel
- CIA's 'Havana Syndrome' Conspiracy Implodes Here are media's worst fake news stories.
- Talking with Microwaves From the really cool 'zine The Observer
- 'Havana Syndrome' Noises Were Likely Crickets, Not Super Weapons, State Department Report Says By the same rag that brought you "Ivermectin overdoses."
- GROWING OLD UNGRACEFULLY: Havana Syndrome(s)
- CIA Finds Russia, Other Foreign Actors Unlikely to be Behind 'Havana Syndrome'
- The Mystery of the Immaculate Concussion by Julia Ioffe (Mirror)
- The U.S. is Spending Millions on 'Havana Syndrome' Research But it's not clear if it exists. U.S. government agencies have spent more than $2 million researching 'Havana Syndrome', but medical experts and internal reports suggest it is psychological, not physical. Similar investigations into the "Moscow signal" during the Cold War found nothing.
- EXCLUSIVE: Scientist Who Investigated 'Havana Syndrome' Insists U.S. Enemies ARE to Blame for Mysterious Condition Which is afflicting 1,500 embassy staff worldwide - and slams government report for denying it.
- The 'Havana Syndrome' Diplomats' Mystery Illness and Pulsed Radiofrequency Microwave Radiation: Interview with Dr. Beatrice Golomb
- Havana Syndrome: Directed Attack or Cricket Noise? National Defense University Press
- Who Masterminds the 'Havana Syndrome' Phenomenon?
- The Truth About the 'Havana Syndrome' CNN produces a hyperreal drama that The New York Times promoted for years. Note that the NYT precipitously abandoned covering this hyperreality earlier this year when the CIA punctured its long-running obsession.
- Report Criticizes CIA's Initial Handling of 'Havana Syndrome' Cases An inspector general report sent to Congress this week finds fault with the intelligence agency’s Office of Medical Services. (Mirror)
- The Rest of the Truth Behind the Havana Syndrome by George R. Mastroianni
- The Trouble With the 'Havana Syndrome' From the Cold War files, a cautionary tale about secrecy and national security, by Jefferson Morley
- 'Havana Syndrome' Latest in U.S. War Propaganda
- Symptoms of the 'Havana Syndrome' by Sergey Ivanov for Military Review (TopWar)
- The Puzzle of 'Havana Syndrome,' the Strange Disease Affecting North American Spies and Diplomats by Lucas Minisini (Paywall)
- Two Reports About the 'Havana Syndrome': Which Should We Believe? by Brad Roth
- The 'Havana Syndrome:' A New Disease or Modern Energy Weapon? Scientists unable to discover the cause, by Ex Cathedra
- Havana Syndrome and the Search for a Smoking Ray Gun by Steve Rhodes (Mirror)
- Havana Syndrome: Embassy Intrigue by Zeit Magazine (Mirror)
- "My Brain is Broken": Former CIA Analyst Struggling with 'Havana Syndrome' Says She Has Not Received Promised Care
- For Your Ears Only: What’s Really Behind Havana Syndrome Officials were shocked when U.S. secret agents and diplomats in Cuba were struck down by a bizarre array of symptoms and sensations. Covert sonic warfare, or something else?, by Tim Moore (Mirror)
- The Bizarre True Story of 'Havana Syndrome': Covert Sonic Warfare or a Case of Mass Hysteria? In 2016, U.S. officials in Cuba showed inexplicable signs of brain trauma, with hundreds since reporting similar incidents the world over, by Tim Moore
- Behold: The Worst Havana Syndrome Report Yet by Laura Wagner
- The Cuban "Sonic Attack" and Journalistic Ethics A session at a recent scientific meeting exposed the dangers not of mythical high-tech weapons but of the heedless rush to sensationalize. (Mirror)
- "Sonic Weapon Attacks" on U.S. Embassy Don’t Add Up - for Anyone Cuban scientists and a new American report both shoot down a list of bizarre theories. (Mirror)
- CBS 60 Minutes Sensationalized Report on a Sonic or Microwave Weapon Harming U.S. Diplomats by R. Douglas Fields
- Hacking the Brain: More Fantasy Than Reality by R. Douglas Fields
- The Mystery of 'Havana Syndrome' (Mirror)
- Column: Are Electromagnetic Weapons Involved? Taking victims of 'Havana Syndrome' seriously. (Mirror)
- 'Havana Syndrome' Mystery
- A Cold War Saga in Biden’s Washington by Julia Ioffe
- CIA Says Havana Syndrome Isn't Caused by Russia or Other Foreign Adversary: Report
- The Unlikeliness of a Directed Microwave Weapon by Nitin Pai
- Sonic "Attacks" on U.S. Diplomats in Cuba: Don’t Rush to Conclusions by John Sipher (Mirror)
- Finally, a Likely Explanation for the "Sonic Weapon" Used at the U.S. Embassy in Cuba Researchers say bad engineering, not a deliberate attack, may be to blame.
- How We Reverse Engineered the Cuban "Sonic Weapon" Attack Examining overlooked clues reveals how ultrasound could have caused harm in Havana. (Mirror) (Additional Info) (PDF)
- U.S. Intelligence Grapples with Nervous System Attacks Amid Heavy Russia Suspicions (Mirror)
- The 'Havana Syndrome' Mystery and How the U.S. Plans to Solve It
- The Big Misunderstanding About 'Havana Syndrome' High-level diplomats are as prone to sociogenic illness as anyone else. (Mirror)
- Panel Says Some 'Havana Syndrome' Cases May Stem From Radio Energy
- Expert Panel Reaffirms Directed Energy Could be Behind 'Havana Syndrome' Cases
- 'Havana Syndrome:' High-Level National Security Officials Stricken with Unexplained Illness on White House Grounds From CBS 60 Minutes (Mirror) (Video)
- Experts Suggest U.S. Embassies Were Hit with High-Power Microwaves - Here’s How the Weapons Work
- Havana Syndrome: Pulsed Electromagnetic Energy Likely Behind Illness
- The Suffering is Real, But there is No 'Havana Syndrome' A cluster of mysterious symptoms, weird cricket noises and alarmist officials with no evidence of an underlying cause, by Natalie Shure
- DARPA Insider Warns: The 'Voice of God Weapon' Is Real: Can 'Talk' to You From Nearly a Mile Away, Blind You, or Melt Your Skin Off
- U.S. Intelligence Community Still Cannot Attribute Havana Syndrome to a 'Foreign Actor'
- USAF Trying to Find Weapon Used in Mystery Attacks on U.S. Diplomats as Evidence Points to Russia
- CIA's 'Havana Syndrome' Report Doesn't Sit Well With Some Lawmakers
- Pulsed Electromagnetic Energy, Ultrasound 'Plausibly' Explain Havana Syndrome
- CIA Officer From bin Laden Hunt to Lead 'Havana Syndrome' Probe as Cases Rise
- U.S. Diplomats’ Brain Injuries May Be From Covert Microwave Attack, Experts Say
- Who Masterminds the 'Havana Syndrome' Phenomenon?
- U.S. May Close Cuba Embassy Over 'Health Attacks' Large thread on the "International Skeptics Forum" by people who don't know what they're talking about.
- 60 Minutes Whips Up 'Havana Syndrome' Hysteria, Airs Sensational Segment on White House 'Attacks' by Robert E. Bartholomew
- 'Havana Syndrome' Hysteria and the Great Wild Goose Chase by Robert E. Bartholomew
- 'Havana Syndrome' Skepticism by Robert E. Bartholomew
- An Open Letter to the Diplomats With 'Havana Syndrome' 'Havana Syndrome' is not what you think it is, by Robert E. Bartholomew (PDF)
- Time to Close the Book on 'Havana Syndrome' Time to close the book on Robert E. Bartholomew...
- The Real Danger 'Havana Syndrome' Poses to Society Don’t be misled by the latest 'Havana Syndrome' report, by Robert E. Bartholomew
- 'Havana Syndrome' and the Bad Science Behind It by Robert E. Bartholomew
- The Death of 'Havana Syndrome' (2016-2023): R.I.P. by Robert E. Bartholomew
- The Well-Known Skeptic - Havana Syndrome: A Book Review by Rob Palmer
- The Well-Known Skeptic - Havana Syndrome: PhACT or Fiction? by Rob Palmer
- The Well-Known Skeptic - Were the 'Sonic Attacks' on American Diplomats Just Sci-Fi? by Rob Palmer
- What is 'Havana Syndrome,' Really? The controversy may be rooted in a fundamental misunderstanding of how the brain works.
- "With 'Havana Syndrome,' the U.S. Government has Spent Five Years Chasing Ghosts"
- New Insights on 'Havana Syndrome' Examining medical conditions that partially overlap with a mysterious illness.
- A Book Proposes That 'Havana Syndrome Was Mass Psychosis
- Reddit: 'Havana Syndrome' /t/havana_syndrome/
- Has the 'Havana Syndrome' Attacks Theory Been Scientifically Proven or Does it Remain as an Unproven Conspiracy Theory? via Quora
- How Psychosomatic 'Havana Syndrome' Backfired on the CIA and Destroyed Their Last Shred of Global Credibility "A bunch of women and effeminate 'men' got nervous after some diplomats got sick and are now having a collective global panic attack." Informative article linking the Deep-State/anti-Trump CIA Officer Marc Polymeropoulos to Hillary Clinton's "Trump-Russia" hoaxes, by Revolver News
- Microwave Ray Gun Controls Crowds with Noise by David Hambling
- U.S. Army Toyed with Telepathic Ray Gun by David Hambling
- The Microwave Weapons That Could Explain Why 'Havana Syndrome' Report is Not Being Released Very good technical article, by David Hambling
- Military Scientists are Planning Experiments on Primates Involving Pulsed Microwaves to Look for Links to 'Havana Syndrome' (Mirror)
- Canadian Diplomat Says Government Sent Him Back to Cuba with Brain Injury Similar attack to Canadians in Cuba.
- EXCLUSIVE: Doctors Reveal Details of Neuro-Weapon Attacks in Havana (Mirror)
- Most 'Havana Syndrome' Cases Unlikely Caused by Foreign Power, C.I.A. Says (Mirror)
- The Mystery of 'Havana Syndrome' From the same journalistic intellectuals who botched the Kevin Mitnick case... (Mirror)
- Neurological Manifestations Among U.S. Government Personnel Reporting Directional Audible and Sensory Phenomena in Havana, Cuba JAMA Report (PDF)
- Neuroimaging Findings in U.S. Government Personnel With Possible Exposure to Directional Phenomena in Havana, Cuba
- Acute Findings in an Acquired Neurosensory Dysfunction 2018 (PDF)
- Acoustic Signals and Physiological Effects on U.S. Diplomats in Cuba JASON Report JSR-18-017 (2018 -redacted) This study concerns a series of events affecting U.S. personnel stationed in Cuba. Some personnel have reported medical symptoms tha are correlated with, and have been by many personnel attributed to, specific sensory phenomena experienced at their residences in Havana. (Additional Info ) (PDF)
- An Analysis of Data and Hypotheses Related to the Embassy Incidents JASON Report JSR-21-01 (October 2021 - redacted) (13.1M PDF)
- Diplomats' Mystery Illness and Pulsed Radiofrequency/Microwave Radiation 2018 (PDF)
- An Assessment of Illness in U.S. Government Employees and Their Families at Overseas Embassies The National Academies of Sciences, 2020 (PDF) (Online)
- 'Havana Syndrome' Among Canadian Diplomats: Brain Imaging Reveals Acquired Neurotoxicity 2019 (PDF)
- Recording of "Sonic Attacks" on U.S. Diplomats in Cuba Spectrally Matches the Echoing Call of a Caribbean Cricket 2019 (PDF) (Additional Info)
- Can the Microwave Auditory Effect Be "Weaponized?" 2021 (PDF)
- Some Peculiarities of Auditory Sensations Evoked by Pulsed Microwave Fields 1979 (PDF)
- Microwave Hearing: The Response of Single Auditory Neurons in the Cat to Pulsed Microwave Radiation 1977 (PDF)
- Analysis of Central Nervous System Involvement in the Microwave Auditory Effect 1974 (PDF)
- PB288163: Evaluation of Health Status of Foreign Service and other Employees from Selected Eastern European Posts by Abraham M. Lilienfeld, M.D. (11.3M PDF)
- NTIA-SP-81-12: The Microwave Radiation at U.S. Embassy Moscow and its Biological Implications: An Assessment (3.3M PDF)
- The "Moscow Signal" Epidemiological Study, 40 Years On (PDF)
- The 'Moscow Signal': How Russian Directed Microwave Rays Once Caused an International Incident The Debrief
- Are Directed Energy Weapons Behind Havana Syndrome? The Debrief
- The Strange Tale of Russia’s UFO Wonder Weapons Based on “New Physical Principles” The Debrief
- Effects of Non-Ionizing Electromagnetic Radiation - #1 Translations on USSR Science and Technology Biomedical Services (17.9M PDF)
- Effects of Non-Ionizing Electromagnetic Radiation - #2 This report contains data on animal response to the effects on non-ionizing electromagnetic radiation. (15M PDF)
- Afferent Mechanisms of Microwave-Induced Biologicial Effects 1987 (653k PDF)
- Biological Effects of Electromagnetic Radiation (Radiowaves and Microwaves) - Eurasian Communist Countries DST-1810S-074-76 (12.8M PDF)
- Soviet Research on ESP and Thought Transmission English translation of "Thought Transmission - Is it Possible?" in Knowledge - Power, No. 12, Moscow, 1960 (1.8M PDF)
- Wonder Weapons The Pentagon's quest for non-lethal arms is amazing, but is it smart?, by Douglas Pasternak
- USSR Hypnosis at a Distance Censored CIA report. (2.2M PDF)
- From Psyops to Neurowar: What are the Dangers? "Analyst James Dunnigan claimed that there 'are radio transmitters that jam and short-circuit the human nervous system. This temporarily disables people the radio beams are aimed at.'"
- Inner Voice, Target Tracking, and Behavioral Influence Technologies by John J. McMurtrey
- Microwave Harassment and Mind-Control Experimentation
- Was George W. Bush a 2007 Victim of Russia-Induced 'Havana Syndrome?'
- The Weird Russian Mind-Control Research Behind a DHS Contract (Mirror)
- Russian Microwaves Plan 'to Drive U.S. Envoys Mad' London Daily Telegraph, May 11, 1972
- Authorities Question Microwave Safety Los Angles Times, December 25, 1977
- Moscow Still Beaming Microwaves, U.S. Says New York Times, June 28, 1977
- Blood-Test Requests Flood Embassy Newsday, January 6, 1977
- The Invisible Third World War Freedom, July 1985
- U.S. Protests Soviet Use of Radiation Washington Post, November 1977
- Microwave Use as Soviet Arms Held Likely Baltimore Sun, November 1976
- U.S. Military Research: From War Games to Mind Games? Associated Press, November 1983
- U.S. Explores Russian Mind-Control Technology Defense New, January 1993
- Russia Used Microwave by Jack Anderson, Boca Raton News, May 9, 1972.
- Microwaves and Behavior by Don R. Justesen (1.1M PDF)
- Hearing Microwaves: The Microwave Auditory Phenomenon 2001 (PDF)
- Weaponizing the Microwave Auditory Effect and the 'Havana Syndrome' 2021 (PDF)
- Biological Effects of Microwaves: Future Research Directions 1968 (7.8M PDF)
- Clinical Medical Acute & Subacute Field Effects on Human Dermal & Neurological Tissues by Dr. Christopher Green (Additional Info) (852k PDF)
- Microwaves in the Cold War: The Moscow Embassy Study and its Interpretation 2012 (PDF)
- The Microwaves in Moscow Microwave News, Vol. 1, No. 1 (490k PDF)
- The Moscow Embassy Microwave Signal by James C. Lin (357k PDF)
- The Effects of Electromagnetic Radiation on Biological Systems: Current Status in the Former Soviet Union (7.8M PDF)
- Psychotronic War and the Security of Russia by V.N Lopatin and V.D. Tsygankov (Moscow, 1999) (695k PDF)
- Biological Effects of Millimeter Wavelengths Russia, 1977 (1.9M PDF)
- Sensory Consequences of Electromagnetic Pulses Emitted by Laser Induced Plasmas (1.5M PDF)
- 'Talking Lasers' that Beam Messages to Our Ears in the Works: Pentagon (Video)
- Pentagon Scientists are Making Talking Plasma Laser Balls for Use as Non-Lethal Weapons
- Microwave Electromagnetic Fields Act by Activating Voltage-Gated Calcium Channels Why the current international safety standards do not predict biological hazard. (64k PDF)
- Mapping Magnetite in the Human Brain The magnetic nanoparticles are concentrated primarily in the cerebellum and brain stem. (PDF) (Additional Info)
- Recent Advances in the Effects of Microwave Radiation on Brains 2017 (PDF)
- How RF Research on the Blood-Brain Barrier Was Shut Down - Again Abandoning inconvenient science and reflections on Leif Salford’s 80th birthday.
- Radiofrequency-Radiation Exposure Does Not Induce Detectable Leakage of Albumin Across the Blood-Brain Barrier 2009 (PDF)
- Whole-Body Exposure to 2.45 GHz Electromagnetic Fields Does Not Alter 12-Arm Radial-Maze with Reduced Access to Spatial Cues in Rats 2005 (PDF)
- A Comprehensive Review of the Research on Biological Effects of Pulsed Radiofrequency Radiation in Russia and the Former Soviet Union (PDF)
- Bibliography of Reported Biological Phenomena ('Effects') and Clinical Manifestations Attributed to Microwave and Radio Frequency Radiation Naval Medical Research Institute (11.6M PDF)
- Biological Effects of Microwave Exposure RADC-TR-67-461 (7.0M PDF)
- Project PANDORA - Final Report by Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory (18M PDF)
- Human Exposure to Radiofrequency Radiation: A Comprehensive Review of the Literature Pertinent to Air Force Operations AL/OE-TR-1996-0035
- BAE Systems: Bofors High-Power Microwave Blackout Portable L- to S-band gigawatt microwave pulse source. (1M PDF) (Wikipedia Entry)
- Continuous Wave (CW) Submillimeter-Wave Gyrotrons (PDF)
Intel Today Links
- One Year Ago - Havana Syndrome: White House Official Confirms Microwave Attacks
- U.S. Spies & the Havana Syndrome
- Havana Syndrome - "Neuro-Weapons" Behind Cuba Attacks?
- Havana Syndrome & Microwave Weapons: Q&A with Professor James Lin
- Microwave Weapons - Project PANDORA-BIZARRE - Initial Test Results
- Havana Syndrome - What Are the Frequencies Used by U.S. Intel for Microwave Spying?
- Havana Syndrome - CBS 60 Minutes : "Foreign Government Targeting U.S. Diplomats With Microwave Weapons"
- Havana Syndrome - The Cover-Up Has Begun
- Havana Syndrome - Chris Carter [X-Files]: "I Believe the Havana Syndrome and Your Government Denied It."
- Havana Syndrome - "Probable Use of a Neuroweapon to Affect Personnel of U.S. Embassy in Havana" (Video)
- Microwave Attacks - Havana, Beijing... And Where Else?
- UCSD Researcher Links Diplomats’ Mystery Illness to Microwave Radiation
- Microwave Auditory Effects and Applications by James C. Lin (ISBN: 0398037043) (5.9M PDF)
- The Microwave Debate by Nicholas H. Steneck (ISBN: 0262192309) (12.4M PDF)
- Havana Syndrome: Mass Psychogenic Illness and the Real Story Behind the Embassy Mystery and Hysteria by Robert W. Baloh and Robert E. Bartholomew (GET)
- The Mysterious Havana Syndrome: The Top Secrets, Signs and Symptoms You Need to Quickly Know About U. S. Havana Disorder by Dr. Jeffrey Williams
- The Origin and Mystery of Havana Syndrome: The Massive Psychogenic Illness by James Lawman
- High Power Microwaves by James Benford, John A. Swegle, and Edl Schamiloglu (GET)
- The Body Electric: Electromagnetism and the Foundation of Life by Robert Becker and Gary Selden (Archive.org Entry)
- The Zapping of America: Microwaves, Their Deadly Risk, and the Coverup by Paul Brodeur (Archive.org Entry)
- 60 Minutes: Targeting Americans In-depth interviews with alleged "Havana Syndrome" victims from the same (((people))) caught spreading racist anti-Trump propaganda.
- 60 Minutes Mocked for Pushing DEBUNKED CIA Conspiracy Breaking Points with Krystal and Saagar
- 'Havana Syndrome' DEBUNKED by C.I.A. The Damage Report
- We Should Talk About 'Havana Syndrome' by Fran Blanche
- No, the CIA Isn't Being Attacked by Russian Microwave Weapons
- Experts Conclude Microwave Energy is Most Likely Causing 'Havana Syndrome'
- Who or What is behind 'Havana Syndrome?' | Inside Story (Additional Info) (Podcast Link)
- 'Havana Syndrome' - Mass Psychogenic Illness and the Real Story Behind the Embassy Mystery and Hysteria
- Fighting an Invisible Enemy: The Voices of 'Havana Syndrome'
- 'Havana Syndrome' Lawyer Not Convinced of CIA's Findings
- Marc Polymeropoulos on the CIA, 9/11 and 'Havana Syndrome'
- CIA Operative Who SURVIVED Russian Energy Weapon Mark Gagnon Podcast "Vladimir Putin tried to kill you!" LOL!
- Brian Ross Investigates: Former CIA Officer Speaks Out About Mysterious Illness 'Havana Syndrome' (Notes)
- The 'Havana Syndrome' - Return of the Cold War?
- "60 Minutes" Speaks with Survivor of Mysterious Health Attack in China
- The Youngest Victims of 'Havana Syndrome' Officials and diplomats are not the only ones who have reported unexplained symptoms at home and abroad. Strange illnesses and injuries have also impacted some of their children. (Additional Info)
- Five Minute Facts About 'Havana Syndrome': Paranoia & Psychogenic Illness | Fantasy Not Psy-Op A complete rejection of science and logic by Veritas Et Caritas.
- 'Havana Syndrome' - Microwave Energy Suspected in Mystery Illness Targeting U.S. Diplomat
- 'Havana Syndrome' Could Have Been Weaponized, Says U.S. Officials
- Former CIA officer Speaks Out About 'Havana Syndrome'
- CNN Interviews Shaheen on 'Havana Syndrome'
- CIA Doctor Investigating Mysterious Injuries Suddenly Gets Injured Part of CNN Special Report: "Immaculate Concussion: The Truth About Havana Syndrome."
- How an Alleged Sonic Attack Shaped U.S. Policy on Cuba
- 'Havana Syndrome' - Investigating What Made the Diplomats Sick by The Fifth Estate
- U.S. Officials Struggling to Recover from 'Havana Syndrome' Five Years On
- What is 'Havana Syndrome?' - Directed Energy Weapons or Mass Psychogenic Illness by Dr. Todd Grande
- The 3 Best Explanations for the 'Havana Syndrome' (Notes)
- Computer Scientists May Have Solved Mystery Behind Cuba 'Sonic Attacks'
- Debunking 'Havana Syndrome' Propaganda: CIA Mass Hysteria Plus Crickets
- 'Havana Syndrome' and Vaccinating Young Kids, with Glenn Greenwald, David Zweig, & Marc Polymeropoulos The Megyn Kelly Show
- Kim Iversen: Mystery 'Havana Syndrome' DELAYS Kamala Harris Hanoi Trip, Who is Behind the Attack?
- DSIAC Webinar: "High-Power, Radio Frequency/Microwave-Directed Energy Weapon Effects" Defense Systems Information Analysis Center
- Brain Science from Bench to Battlefield: The Realities – and Risks – of Neuroweapons | CGSR Seminar by Dr. James Giordano
- Havana Syndrome Symposium - Neuroscience and Ethical issues in Havana Syndrome
- Dr. James Giordano - UTSW's Havana Syndrome Webinar
- SOFWERX J5 Donovan Group Radical Speaker Series: Dr. Carey Balaban This presentation summarizes a facet of the Office of Naval Research - Noise-Induced Hearing Loss Program.
- 'Havana Syndrome' | Dr Michael Hoffer, Otolaryngologist Working at University of Miami
- Mind Hacking/Voice of God Technology - Dr. Robert Duncan
- 1985 CNN Report on Electromagnetic Mind Control Weapons
- CIA Director William Burns on 'Havana Syndrome' Investigation
- The Mind Altering Moscow Signal Experiments In 1962, Russia experimented with the mind-altering effects of microwaves, by ParanormalTV
- Greenham Common Microwave Attack
- Round Table: "Sonic Attacks in Havana: Review of Science and Media Coverage: Parsing facts." 2019 Annual AAAS meeting
- What is 'Havana Syndrome?' Illness or High-Tech Weapon?
- Defeating Microwave Weapons!
- You're Not Protected from Microwaves... Yet
- Learn to Protect Yourself from Microwave Radiations - Mind Control Weapons - Havana Syndrome
- Havana Syndrome 01: Overview and Welcome Havana Syndrome: Medical, Scientific, and Policy Perspectives (Feb. 22, 2022), a comprehensive symposium hosted by UT Southwestern.
- Havana Syndrome 02: Vestibular Illness, Tinnitus, and Other Issues in Otolaryngology Dr. Walter Kutz, Professor of Otolaryngology, UT Southwestern, discusses vestibular illness, tinnitus, and other issues in otolaryngology.
- Havana Syndrome 03: Vestibular Migraine Dr. Shin Beh, with Southwestern Health Resources, discusses vestibular migraines.
- Havana Syndrome 04: Havana Syndrome and TBI Dr. Munro Cullum and Dr. Laura Lacritz, Professors of Psychiatry, UT Southwestern, discuss 'Havana Syndrome' and TBI.
- Havana Syndrome 05: A New Paradigm for Neuropsychiatry? Dr. Chadrick Lane, Assistant Professor of Psychiatry at UT Southwestern, presents 'Havana Syndrome: A New Paradigm for Neuropsychiatry?'
- Havana Syndrome 06: Treatment of TBI and Functional Neurological Disorders Dr. Surendra Barshikar, Professor of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, UT Southwestern, on the treatment of Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) and functional neurological disorders.
- Havana Syndrome 07: National Security Implications of Havana Syndrome Suzanne Kelly of The Cipher Brief and former CIA officer (((Daniel Hoffman))) (also of The Cipher Brief) on the national security implications of 'Havana Syndrome.'
- Havana Syndrome 08: The Victim Impact of Havana Syndrome Greg Myre, NPR National Security Correspondent, and Marc Polymeropoulos, The Cipher Brief, discuss the victim impact of 'Havana Syndrome.'
- Havana Syndrome 09: The Impact of Havana Syndrome Upon the Foreign Service and American Ambassador (((Eric Rubin))), U.S. Department of State, on the impact of 'Havana Syndrome' upon the Foreign Service and American diplomacy.
- Havana Syndrome 10: PPPD and Havana Syndrome Dr. Jeffrey Staab, Chair of Psychiatry and Psychology at the Mayo Clinic, on Persistent Postural-Perceptual Dizziness (PPPD) and 'Havana Syndrome.'
- Havana Syndrome 11: Neuroscience and Ethical Issues in Havana Syndrome Dr. James Giordano, Chief of the Neuroethics Study Program at the Center for Clinical Bioethics, Georgetown University, discusses neuroscience and ethical issues as they relate to 'Havana Syndrome.'
- Havana Syndrome 12: Q&A Panel Dr. Kenneth Dekleva and Dr. Munro Cullum conclude the discussion with Q&A.
- Anomalous EP 18 - Havana Syndrome
- Chapo Trap House - 'Havana Syndrome' Episode #548 (Mirror)
- Armchaired & Dangerous LIVE: Havana Syndrome Armchaired & Dangerous Live from Portland at the Keller Auditorium, February 2, 2022. (Additional Info)
- Havana Syndrome - Tilting at Windmills? PhACT Lecture: "Is 'Havana Syndrome' Real?" (Additional Info #1, Additional Info #2)
- Havana Syndrome & Among Us The Deprogram Podcast, Episode #13
- The Pattern EP02: Radiowaves, Soundwaves, & the Paranormal In this episode I describe radio and sound waves, talk about some historical documents and studies on their effect on humans, discuss weird weapons, and tie them to people's experience of the paranormal.
- Hold On, Russia has WHAT Kind of Weapon?? by Jake Tran
- The Truth Behind the Mysterious 'Havana Syndrome' On Point
- The Bureau: Has Havana Syndrome Hit the Homeland? A High-Ranking Victim Speaks Mueller, She Wrote Podcast
- Havana Syndrome - Part II: Global Controversy Stuff They Don't Want You To Know Podcast
- Havana Syndrome Paranormal Blip Podcast, Episode #27
- Havana Syndrome: ¿Qué Diablos? Stuff You Should Know Podcast
- The Mystery of 'Havana Syndrome' The Documentary Podcast
- Babbage: Havana Syndrome The Economist Podcast
- 'Havana Syndrome' The Ghost Furnace Podcast
- What is Havana Syndrome? Gray Man Podcast
- 'Havana Syndrome,' Microwaves, and Hearing RF Skeptoid Podcast, Episode #761
- Sonic Weapons in Cuba Skeptoid Podcast, Episode #603
- 'Havana Syndrome': Did a Secret Weapon Fry Diplomats' Brains? Science Vs Podcast (Transcript)
- 'Havana Syndrome': A Disease of Body or Mind? w/ Suzanne O'Sullivan Follow the Science, Episode #45
- Havana Syndrome Unexplainable Podcast
- The Truth Behind the Mysterious 'Havana Syndrome' On Point Podcast
- A Marital Tour of Misguided Medicine - Havana Syndrome Sawbones, Episode #381
- Cheryl Rofer on the Shoddy Science Behind 'Havana Syndrome' The Scott Norton Show
- The Mysterious Case of 'Havana Syndrome' Two low-IQ idiots discussing things they don't understand, Unsolved Mysteries: Solved?, Episode #33
- Havana Syndrome Spreads & JFK Returns feat. Natalie Shure The QAnon-Anonymous Podcast, Episode #165
- BBC: The Mystery of 'Havana Syndrome' The Documentary Podcast
- 'Havana Syndrome' The Podcaster's Guide to the Conspiracy
- Illness in Overseas U.S. Embassies Employees Neurology Podcast
- 'Havana Syndrome:' A Sonic Attack or Just a Weird Anomalous Health Incident? Hearing Things Podcast
- Havana Hysteria w/ Robert Bartholomew Into The Parabnormal Podcast (Additional Info)
- NMSR meeting: "The Myth of Havana Syndrome" Robert Bartholomew on "The Myth of Havana Syndrome," New Mexicans for Science and Reason
- Doctor Explains CIA's 'Havana Syndrome' Conspiracy is Mass Hysteria - Not Russian Ray Gun Attacks
- Medical Sociologist Robert Bartholomew ~ The Truth About Havana Syndrome & Mass Psychogenic Illness by 502 Conversations
- CIA Director Backing Down from "Havana Syndrome" Lie
- "Havana Syndrome" is Complete Bullsh*t Admits CIA Director
- Conspiracyland S4E28: Episode 1: "A Broken Heart" The strange story of "Havana Syndrome." More shoddy journalism and disinformation from (((Michael Isikoff))). Isikoff was also actively pushing the now-debunked "Trump-Russia" hoax in order to effect the 2016 presidential election for Hillary Clinton.
- Conspiracyland S4E30: Episode 2: "The Mystery of the Moscow Signal"
- Conspiracyland S4E32: Episode 3: "It’s Not What We Thought It Was"
- Top U.S. Officials Cast Fresh Doubt on Sensational 'Havana Syndrome' Claims
- How a Soviet Plot to Beam the U.S. Embassy with Microwaves Led to a 'Brain Weapons Arms Race'
Reports: Skepticism Grows About 'Havana Syndrome' (((Dan Abrams))) Live Steve Goodman: 'Havana Syndrome' and the Weaponization of Unsound CIA Director Admits Media Myth 'Havana Syndrome' is Not Foreign Attack (Additional Info #1, Additional Info #2) Robert Bartholomew - Why Mass Hysteria is Thriving in the 21st Century by Center for Inquiry (YouTube) Conversations with Experts: Dr. Robert Bartholomew June 27, 2022 Conversations with Experts: Dr. Robert Baloh August 2, 2022 The Shawn Ryan Show - Episode #31 With Marc Polymeropoulos - CIA Senior Intelligence Officer Havana Syndrome Couple Pints Podcast, Episode #98 The Moscow Signal and Havana Syndrome Coming in From the Cold: Untold Stories from the Cold War, Episode #45 Havana Syndrome Special Vanessa Kirby pulls together three experts to discuss the mystery behind 'Havana Syndrome,' Spyscape Podcast, Episode #97 What is Havana Syndrome? The Uncover Up Podcast The Mystery and History of Havana Syndrome These people are completely brainwashed tools. Past Present, Episode #315 Understanding Propaganda: Havana Syndrome by Cory Hughes Head Case Spy Talk Podcast Sinisterhood: Havana Syndrome Episode #150 (YouTube) I Spied: Havana Tell You a Story Part 2 of our interview with CIA veteran Marc Polymeropoulos, where we dive into his life living with 'Havana Syndrome.' (Part 1)
Sam Hyde's Next Victim
Hasan Piker REACTS to the CIA Lied About the Havana Syndrome Hasan Piker REACTS to the Havana Syndrome Hasan Piker Covers Cuba's Radioactive Weapon (Havana Syndrome)
Other Related GBPPR Projects
- GBPPR PHOTOANGLO Experiments
- Passive Resonant Cavity Technical Surveillance Devices
- GBPPR Radar Experiments
- GBPPR Active Denial System
- GBPPR Interferometric Surveillance Device Experiments - Part 1
- GBPPR Interferometric Surveillance Device Experiments - Part 2
- GBPPR Remote Respiration/Heart Beat Monitor Experiments
- GBPPR Remote Telephone Surveillance Experiments
- GBPPR Microwave Oven Experiments
- GBPPR HERF Device
- GBPPR Mind Control Devices and Experiments
- GBPPR Speech Jammer
- Anti-TASER Clothing Experiments
- Techniques for Countering Thermal Imaging Devices