|GBPPR Microwave Oven & EMP Experiments|
There is a really neat patent, number 6,343,534, which is titled "Landmine Detector with a High-Power Microwave Illuminator and Infrared Detector." Here is the abstract:
"A hybrid remote-sensing apparatus is based on an active high-power microwave (HPM) illuminator and a passive infrared (IR) detector for the detection of shallow buried landmines. A 2.45 GHz, 5 kW microwave source is used for illumination and the thermal signature at the soil surface is detected in the 8-12 µm region both in near real-time as well as after a brief time-delay following illumination. The thermal signature at the soil surface is primarily made up of two components. A thermal signature occurs at the soil surface in near real-time due to the interference of the incident beam and the beam reflected by buried mines. A second thermal signature is generated when temperature contrasts due to differential microwave absorption by a mine and the surrounding soil are conducted upwards from that mine location to the surface. Both signatures are dependent on the complex dielectric constants of mines and the soil. These signatures can be used to determine the location of different types of metallic and non-metallic mine surrogates, dummy mines without explosives and live mines with explosives."
Basically, it involves using a RF magnetron, like that from a common microwave oven, to "heat" the soil in a particular area. After a few minutes of RF heating, the area is then viewed using a infrared thermal camera to locate any "hot" spots. Presumably, a landmine buried in the soil will retain some heat due to the dielectric absorption by the explosives inside the mine. This would then be visible when viewed through the thermal camera, if it's not buried too far down.
This device doesn't appear to be too complicated to homebrew. A person controlling the robot would have a little T.V. screen showing the video output from the thermal viewer. If you locate any suspicious objects, you can then throw rocks at them from a safe distance.
The wireless video link and most of the power supplies are trivial to homebrew.
Robot chassis could be a radio controlled riding lawnmower.
Example photos from the above patent. Figure 5a, 5b, 5c, and 5d are IR pictures of the sand surface over mine surrogates buried in moist sand at different depths which were taken at different times before and after irradiation with high-power microwaves.
Notes & Links
- MIT Radiation Laboratory Series
- Landmine Neutralizer Using a High-Power Microwave Device U.S. Patent 6,799,499. (590k PDF)
- Anti-Personal Landmine Detection Technology Survey and Assessment Good information. (585k PDF)
- A New Concept for Thermal Mine Detection by Local Heating Detailed report of this method. (214k PDF)
- IR-CAM TPM 4 from Imaging1.com Nice little handheld thermal viewing device. Lots of good pictures also.
- Thermal Camera Engine OEM packaged thermal camera.
- Panasonic Magnetron Tubes Information and datasheets.
- The Magnetron - A Low Noise, Long Life Amplifier (1.8M PDF)
- My Home-Made Bob Beck Electromagnetic Pulser (Thumper)
- Eureka Aerospace High-Power Electromagnetic System (HPEMS) Uses microwave energy to disable/damage vehicle's electronic control module/microprocessors which control engine's vital functions.
- Oven Magnetron as a 13cm TX?
- Phase Locking a Microwave Oven for EME Use? (EA6VQ Mirror)
- Magnetron Coupling Methods
- High-Power Microwave Pulse Generator (1.2M PDF)
- KC-135 Team Experiment Page
- EMP Research Paper (2.2M PDF)
- An Electronic Pearl Harbor? Not Likely by George Smith
- Non-Lethal Weapons for Military Operations Other Than War by Cadet First Class Joseph M. Suhajda
- EMP Kooks Very informative.
- EMP Gun: The Chupacabras of Infowar by George Smith
- EM Experiments for Computational Model Validation for AH-1S Cobra Helicopter
- Electro-Magnetic Pulse (EMP) Systems
- A Photographic Essay on the Properties of Microwave Radiation
- The Electromagnetic Bomb - A Weapon of Electrical Mass Destruction (Slides) (Mirror)
- Dr. Carlo Kopp's Website "Doctor" Carlo Kopp is an asshole, and most of his work is stolen from other (open/government) sources, but he has many good papers in his collection.
"These papers were compiled (stolen) wholly from open sources, detailed in the references. The primary sources were IEEE Pulsed Power Conference proceedings, supplemented by a number of electrical engineering and physics fundamentals texts. All of this material has been in the public domain for half a decade or longer."
- The E-Bomb - A Weapon of Electrical Mass Destruction InfoWarCon 5 conference paper, by Carlo Kopp. (300k PDF)
- An Introduction to the Technical and Operational Aspects of the Electromagnetic Bomb Air Power Studies Centre Paper Number 50, by Carlo Kopp. (239k PDF)
- High-Power Microwaves: Strategic and Operational Imperatives for Warfare (414k PDF)
- The FAA Discovers HERF
- Electromagnetic Effects of a Nuclear Explosion
- Radio Frequency Weapons and the Infrastructure by Lieutenant General Robert L. Schweitzer
- The Low Energy Radio Frequency Weapons Threat to Critical Infrastructure by Victor Sheymov
- Congressional Hearings on RF Weapons
- The Design and Fabrication of a Damage Inflicting RF Weapon by 'Back Yard' Methods" Statement of Mr. David Schriner before the Joint Economic Committee, February 25, 1998.
- Microwave Canon Pictures
- Applied Physical Electronics EMP and pulse power technical publications
- Compact RF and HPM Sources (521k PDF)
- Pulsed Power Sources for Bio-Medical Applications (253k PDF)
- The Gatling Marx Generator System (184k PDF)
- Compact Marx Generators for the Generation of High Power Microwaves (372k PDF)
- A Novel Marx Generator Topology Design for Low Source Impedance (448 PDF)
- A Modular Compact Marx Generator Design for the Gatling Marx Generator System (605k PDF)
- The Marx Generator as an Ultra Wideband Source (200k PDF)
- Compact Pulsed Power Sources (432k PDF)
- Experimental Multiple Frequency Injection-Wave Generator (295k PDF)
- Compact Flash X-Ray for Radiographic ApplicationsCompact Flash X-Ray For Radiographic Applications (473k PDF)
- Marx Generator Driven Impulse Radiating Antenna (980k PDF)
Radio Frequency Weapons - 21st Century Threat Live Fire Testing of Radio Frequency Weapons Facts Fight Fiction in Security Circles by Ellen Messmer HERF Guns Are Real by Deb Radcliff Info-Terror by Adam L. Penenberg Paranoia, Tin Foil Hats, and the EMP Threat InfoWarCon '95 Flyer September 7-8, 1995, Stouffer Concourse Hotel, Arlington, VA. Ask Hackaday: Can You Steal a Car with a Mini Tesla Coil? Information Warfare: Chaos on the Electronic Superhighway E-book by Winn Schwartau (ISBN: 1-56025-080-1) (Review) Winn Schwartau's Cybershock - Picture 1 The Schriner S-20 (500 kV) being tested at China Lake, California.
- Winn Schwartau's Cybershock - Picture 2 Homemade cylindrical waveguide for RF weapon tests.
- Winn Schwartau's Cybershock - Picture 3 First public demonstration of HERF by David Schriner at InfowarCon, September 1999.
- Winn Schwartau's Cybershock - Picture 4 A garage-made dual-cone horn for increased radiated RF efficiency.
- Winn Schwartau's Cybershock - Picture 5 Russia plasma-tube produces intense ion streams.
Everyday Materials Used in Radio Weapon Simple RF Weapon Can Fry PC Circuits One Zap, and Your Computer Is Dead Zap! ... and Your PC's Dead Almost Complete, Unofficial HERF and Other Radio Weapons Information Page The Wireless Threat to our Electronic Infrastructure The Dawn of the E-Bomb IEEE Spectrum, Novermber 2003, by Michael Abrams (2.6M PDF) High-Power Microwaves AGARD Conference Proceedings 564 (20.0M PDF) Testing and Evaluation of an Ultra-Wideband Pulse Generator for HPM Weapon Simulation IEEE login required. Lightning Bugs Fearsome Weapons of Future Wars Transcript from ABC's 20/20 on February 10, 1999. The Electromagnetic Pulse (EMP) Bell System Nuclear Design Criteria (1969) Engineering and Design - Electromagnetic Pulse (EMP) and TEMPEST Protection for Facilities Experimental Interaction Unit: I-Bomb (Original) (Video) The Destruct-O-Tron Phase and Frequency Locking of Magnetrons by Pushing and Pulling By Imran Tahir (378k PDF) ATV Transmitter from a Microwave Oven by David R. Pacholok, KA9BYI. 73 Magazine, July 1989 (1M PDF) (New York Times Article) A High-Power, 13 cm Magnetron Transmitter by Chuck Swedblom, WA6EXV. Communications Quarterly, Winter 1991. (3.7M PDF) Power-Combining and Injection-Locking Magnetrons for Accelerator Applications by Todd A. Treado, Todd A. Hansen, and David J. Jenkins. (282k PDF) High-Power Microwave System Employing a Phase-Locked Array of Inexpensive Commercial Magnetrons U.S. Patent Application 2006/0208672A1 (175k PDF) Power Supply for Heating Magnetron U.S. Patent 3,569,855 (284k PDF) Switching Power Supply for Microwave Oven U.S. Patent 5,171,949 (248k PDF) Magnetron Operating Circuit With Surge-Voltage Absorber U.S. Patent 3,840,774 (225k PDF) Power Supply Circuit for a Microwave Oven U.S. Patent 3,967,156 (202k PDF) Magnetron Drive Apparatus U.S. Patent 4,858,095 (373k PDF) High-Voltage Pulse Generator U.S. Patent 5,138,270 (189k PDF) High-Power Radio Frequency Weapons: A Potential Counter to U.S. Stealth and Cruise Missile Technology (250k PDF) Anti-Weapons: Russian Scientists Threaten to Halt Space War by Vladimir Bogdanov. Code Name: Betty Crocker by James Stegall. Story of the NATO v. Serb "microwave oven" technique to troll radiation-seeking missiles. Naughty E-Toys Require New Laws The Cyber Terrorists ... RF Energy as a Source of Ignition by Texas Engineering Solutions
- RF Terrorism by Texas Engineering Solutions
- Security Implications of High-Power Microwave Technology by Texas Engineering Solutions
RF Weapons Pose Threat to Deployments by A.E. Pevler. (768k PDF) IRA 'Has Technology to Wipe Out City Computer Systems' My Only Words on "Electromagnetic Pulse" Damage by Timothy C. May. Electromagnetic Pulse by Graham Packer, ETI, August 1980. (320k PDF) Electromagnetic Pulse Bomb by wouse101. (5k PDF) EMP Weapons by Chris Terraneau. Electromagnetic Pulse Generator EE464 Senior Design Project by David Yeh (1.1M PDF) Impulse Electromagnetic Interference Generator (376k PDF) High-Power Electromagnetic Impulse Sources Sandia National Labs (438k PDF) High-Voltage Power Pulse Circuit (40k PDF) High-Voltage Experimenter's Handbook (1.1M PDF) Designing and Building High-Voltage Power Supplies - Volume 2 AFWAL-TR-88-4143 (10.2M PDF) Magnetron - Basic Theory of Operation (1.3M PDF) HPM Project High-powered microwave project from root-security.net High-Power Microwave Generation from a Virtual Cathode Oscillator (Vircator) by Donald J. Sullivan. (375k PDF) EMP Weapons by C.N. Ghosh, Senior Fellow, IDSA. Electromagnetic Weapons: Come Fry With Me Compact, Repetitive Marx Generator and HPM Generation with the Vircator by Yeong-Jer Chen. (3.2M PDF) Coaxial Marx Generator for EMP Thread on the 4hv.org forums. The AFSWC Portable, Modular EMP Generator Fast Transient Pulse Generator for EMP Simulation Interference: Its Potential Effect on Pacemaker Systems E-Bombs And Terrorists: September 2001 Cover Story Utilization of High-Power Microwave Sources in Electronic Sabotage and Terrorism From Maxwell Laboratories. IEEE login required. Electromagnetic Attack: Is Your Infrastructure and Data at Risk? by Michael B. Hayden An Introduction to the EMP and Lightning Threat by Dr. Bruce C. Gabrielson
- Emission Suppression Techniques Using Gaskets
- Future EMC Trends in PC Board Design
- Lightning Protection for Facilities
- Proposed Structuring of Preliminary Design and Equipment Testing for an Early EMP Posture
- "Natural" Antennaa
- Unified EME in the World of Transient Phenomena
- Box Level Troubleshooting and Quick Look Engineering
High-Altitude Electromagnetic Pulse (HEMP): A Threat to Our Way of Life by William A. Radasky, Ph.D., P.E. High-Altitude Electromagnetic Pulse (HEMP) Protection for Ground-Based C41 Facilities Performing Critical, Time-Urgent Missions (1M PDF) High-Altitude Electromagnetic Pulse (HEMP) and High-Power Microwave (HPM) Devices: Threat Assessments (168k PDF) Electromagnetic Pulse Threats in 2010 by Colin R. Miller, Major, USAF (277k PDF) EMP -- A Deadly Kink in Our Armor! by Dan Eden Electromagnetic Pulse Risks and Terrorism Electromagnetic Pulse Appendix J of FM24-18: Tactical Single-Channel Radio Communications Techniques What a Single Nuclear Warhead Could Do Why the U.S. needs a space-based missile defense against an EMP attack. Navy Preps New EMP Blaster $7.4M for an EMP Generator Air Force Preps Gadget-Zapping Microwave Missiles Ready, Aim, Zap! EMP - Practical Protection Fischer Custom Communications EMP Simulator Specifications For MIL STD 461/462D RS-105 testing. Surviving the Unthinkable by Keith Greiner, AK0Q. 73 Magazine, May-June 1982. (582k PDF) "Shiva Star" Pulse Power Factsheet "...now I am become death [Shiva], the destroyer of worlds." - Robert Oppenheimer. (More Info) (Wikipedia Entry) Microwave Oven Gun Electromagnetic Directed Energy Weapons for Eliminating Electronic Systems U.S. Army Redstone Technical Test Center Electromagnetic/Lightning Effects Test Facilities TEDs a New Face for an Old Threat by Edward Maggio and Kevin G. Coleman High-Altitude Electromagnetic Pulse (HEMP) Protection Systems (164k PDF) Aircraft Could be Brought Down by DIY 'E-Bombs' Explosively Driven Pulsed Power: Helical Magnetic Flux Compression Generators (Download) Cyber Weapons and e-Bombs Just a Normal Town... The perfect weapon: no fractured bricks or spilled blood. Report of the Commission to Access the Threat to the United States from Electromagnetic Pulse (EMP) Attack (7.5M PDF) That EMP-ty Feeling Popular Communications, May 1983, by R.L. Slattery (330k PDF) Shelter from the Surge Survive Magazine, December 1983 & May 1984, by Gary V. Small (1.6M PDF) The Chaos Factor Science Magazine, January & February 1983, by William J. Broad (1.0M PDF) EMP Resistant 1976 GMC 350 Truck American Survival Guide, October 1987, by Don Cable (867k PDF) Protection from EMP American Survival Guide, February 1989, by Duncan Long (1.3M PDF) EMP and Your Equipment American Survival Guide, March 1987, by Carl E. Krupp (2.0M PDF) EMP Devices Threaten U.S. Federal Computer Week Magazine, October 18 1999, by Daniel Verton (15k PDF) Effects of High-Altitude Nuclear Explosions on H.F. Communications CQ Magazine, February 1964, by Perry I. Klein (K3JTE) (1.0M PDF) Electromagnetic Pulse and the Radio Amateur QST Magazine, August-November 1986, by Dennis Bodson (W4PWF) (3.0M PDF) EMP and the Radio Amateur QST Magazine, September 1975, by Dr. C.R. Fisher (K0TYB/K4KGN), Dr. D.B. Nelson, and P.R. Barnes (1.5M PDF) Nuclear Weapons Effects on Communications Systems QST Magazine, August 1981, by Robert Hendrickson (AG3U) (2.0M PDF) Schneier on Security: Electromagnetic Pulse Grenades Electromagnetic Attack: Thinking the Unthinkable From Mollusk-Zapper to... Death Ray? Protecting Yourself From EMP by Duncan Long An Introduction to Explosive Magnetic Flux Compression Generators Once classified 1975 paper from Los Alamos National Labs. (2.3M PDF) Characterise Domestic Microwave Ovens Shows how a microwave oven magnetron changes frequency depending on the load impedance. (37k PDF) 150 Years Ago: The Worst Solar Storm Ever Think a nuclear EMP event is big? Wait until you see what the Sun can do... 'E-Bomb' Doomsday Conference Starts Today New Army Weapon Aims to Fry Gadgets, People Air Force Blasts Drones With Microwave Weapons Testimony of Dr. Michael J. Frankel Information submitted for the record. House Homeland Security Committee Hearing. Cyber security and other (EMP) threats to the power grid. (15k PDF) Commission to Assess the Threat to the United States from Electromagnetic Pulse (EMP) Attack Early Microwave Magnetrons (2.1M PDF) The Magnetron Tube Structure and operation. Are Homemade EMP Devices a Threat to Commercial Aircraft? Focused EMP Pulse? rec.radio.amateur.antenna USENET posting. Death Ray Machine is Invented by Cleveland Scientist Modern Mechanix, September 1934. (Boing Boing) Nikola Tesla's Long Range Weapon Nikola Tesla: The Greatest Hacker of All Time The Poor Man's Ray Gun by David Gunn Tunable Wave Maser Weapon It's not a real maser. (1.3M PDF) EMP from Chemical Explosions (528k PDF) EMP from a Chemical Explosion Originating in a Tunnel (281k PDF) Moose Hill Enterprises - Pulse Systems Group Moose Hill Enterprises - Plasma Beam Wide-Band Amplifiers Moose Hill Enterprises - Mega Impulse, Ltd. Microwave Discharge Cavities Operating at 2450 MHz (389k PDF) HERF Gun: Make it in Your Basement Revisiting DIY HERF Guns Build Your Own HERF Gun One EMP Burst and the World Goes Dark Air Force Doles Out Cash to Microwave Computers Air Force Blasts Drones With Microwave Weapons (Press Release) In Memoriam: Carl Baum High-voltage and EMP pioneer. North Korea Nears Completion of Electromagnetic Pulse Bomb "The North is believed to be nearing completion of an electromagnetic pulse bomb that, if exploded 25 miles above ground would cause irreversible damage to electrical and electronic devices such as mobile phones, computers, radio and radar, experts say." North Korea Tests "Super-EMP" Nuke Simulated E-Bomb Effects on Electronically Equipped Targets by Enes Yurtoglu (Abstract) (2.8M PDF) Compact Power Conditioning and RF Systems for a High-Power RF Source (346k PDF) Development of UHF Spark-Switched LC Oscillators (525k PDF) Miniature High-Power Impulse Transmitter for Radio-Echo Sounding (525k PDF) Beijing Develops Pulse Weapons Broadband TEM Horn Antenna for Pulse Radar (380k PDF) Defense Science Board Task Force on Directed Energy Weapons (3.5M PDF) BAE Systems Bofors High-Power Microwave Blackout (168k PDF) Bad-Ass Boeing Missile Flies Over Buildings, Fries Computers with Microwaves (Video) Design of a Bounded Wave EMP Simulator (3.1M PDF) Research on Fast Rise Time EMP Radiating-Wave Simulator (315k PDF)
EMP/HERF Audio & Video
- Non-Lethal Weapons Segment on TLC Shows the effect of an EMP device on a toy helicopter. (1.8M WMV)
- KXAN News Segment on Applied Physical Electronics IED Zapper (3.1M WMV)
- History of the Microwave Oven (16M WebM)
- Invent This Interview: Bob Iannini Shows off his EMP device. (YouTube)
- EMP vs. Car on Discovery's "Future Weapons" Program (3.1M WebM) (Similar EMP Device Hi-Res Photo)
- Xtreme Alternative Defense Systems on Discovery's "Future Weapons" Program (25M WebM)
- Rostislav Persion's HERF Against a Computer Without a Case (926k WebM)
- Rostislav Persion's HERF Against a Radio Controlled Car (442k WebM)
- Nuclear EMP Pulse Effects by The End Time Prophet. (12M WebM)
- Winn Schwartau - Information Warfare Defcon 2 (5.7M MP3)
- Winn Schwartau - Information Warfare, the Year in Review Defcon 3 (6.3M MP3)
- Gonzo DeMann & Rev. Sergey - Non-Lethal Technology EMP presentation at The Fifth HOPE (5.9M MP3)
- Winn Schwartau: HERF Guns, EMP Bombs, and Weapons of Mass Disruption Defcon 7 (Slides) (YouTube)
- Sinster: Radio Energy Weapons Defcon 8 speech by Jon Paul Nollmann. (DoC Projects) (YouTube)
- Electronic Weaponry or How to Rule the World While Shopping at Radio Shack Defcon 18 speech by Timothy "mage2" Otto. (Slides) (Part 2)
- Raytheon's Silent Guardian RF Denial System (743k WMV)
- Ocean's Eleven EMP Scene (1.1M WMV)
- FOX News Segment on IEDs in Iraq News segment showing the Ionatron in action. (Sold on eBay?) (7M WMV)
- CNN Interview of David Schriner and EMP Demonstration (YouTube) (WebM)
- ZEUS Clearing Various UXO During Field Testing Artillery shell being destroyed via the ZEUS counter-IED laser system. (637k WMV) (Senate Armed Services Committee Testimony)
- ZEUS - Picture 1
- ZEUS - Picture 2
- ZEUS - Picture 3
- ZEUS - Picture 4
- ZEUS - Picture 5
- ZEUS - Picture 6
What is an EMP? An EMP, or electromagnetic pulse, is a burst of electromagnetic energy capable of knocking out electrical systems. In this episode of TechStuff, Jonathan and Chris discuss how much damage a large-scale EMP could do. (12.4M MP3) DEFCON 17: Injecting Electromagnetic Pulses into Digital Devices by Paul F. Renda. This talk is not about someone on the ground firing a ray gun at a jet and bringing it down, this talk is about someone on the jet injecting EMP in the wiring system of the jet and causing great problems with the aviation systems and the black box. I will define smart and dumb digital devices based to how they respond to injected pulses. The talk will have at least 10 video demos of device pulses and a video of a surge protector. The Marx generator will be explained and a MOSFET charging circuit. Going green, fly-by-wire airplanes, robotic control trains, densely integrated systems, these are all realities of our daily environment. One problem is that all of these make our life more susceptible to an EMP disruption. Other topics covered include TWA 800, Telsa coil, Byzantine faults and the power grid. (YouTube)
CW/Pulse Magnetron Datasheets & Notes
- Internal View of a 2.45 GHz CW Magnetron (Assembly Drawing) (Typical Microwave Oven Schematic)
- National 2M107 2.45 GHz CW Magnetron (344k PDF)
- Hitachi 2M121 2.45 GHz CW Magnetron (1.9M PDF)
- Matsushita 2M167B 2.45 GHz CW Magnetron (744k PDF)
- Hitachi 2M130 2.45 GHz CW Magnetron (296k PDF)
- Hitachi 2M131 2.45 GHz CW Magnetron (1.7M PDF)
- Toshiba 2M164 2.45 GHz CW Magnetron (226k PDF)
- National 2M226 2.45 GHz CW Magnetron (496k PDF)
- Hitachi 2M251 2.45 GHz CW Magnetron (1.9M PDF)
- Toshiba 2M2-series 2.45 CW Magnetrons (140k PDF)
- National NL15245 15 kW, 2.45 GHz CW Magnetron (2.6M PDF)
- National NLM915-75 75 kW, 915 MHz CW Magnetron (215k PDF)
- Toshiba 2J42 X-band Pulse Magnetron (122k PDF)
- JRC 2J55 X-band Pulse Magnetron (380k PDF) (DoD Version)
- 2J49/2J50 X-band Pulse Magnetron (166k PDF)
- 2J51 X-band Pulse Magnetron (132k PDF)
- JRC 2J70B S-band Pulse Magnetron (27k PDF) (QKH1978 or MG5267)
- 2K25 X-band Klystron (71k PDF)
- National JAN5586 S-band Pulse Magnetron (470k PDF)
- 7006 X-band Pulse Magnetron (127k PDF)
- RCA 7008 X-band Pulse Magnetron (690k PDF)
- Litton 7156A C-band Pulse Magnetron (96k PDF) (DoD Version)
- JRC 9M752 X-band Pulse Magnetron (377k PDF)
- Toshiba X-band Pulse Magnetron (475k PDF)
- Litton L-4555, L-4419, L-4451 - 32 GHz & 16 GHz Pulse Magnetrons (209k PDF)
- Litton L-4601 X-band Pulse Magnetron (304k PDF
- Litton L-4651 X-band Pulse Magnetron (112k PDF)
- Litton L-5047 X-band Pulse Magnetron (201k PDF)
- Litton L-5191 X-band Pulse Magnetron (177k PDF)
- Litton L-5274 X-band Pulse Magnetron (175k PDF)
- JRC M1310 X-band Pulse Magnetron (390k PDF)
- JRC M1337 X-band Pulse Magnetron (283k PDF)
- JRC M1461 S-band Pulse Magnetron (70k PDF)
- EEV MG5218 X-band Pulse Magnetron (418k PDF)
- EEV MG5353 X-band Pulse Magnetron (158k PDF)
- JRC MSF1425A X-band Pulse Magnetron (52k PDF)
- SFD Labs SFD-373 C-band Pulse Magnetron (300k PDF)
- Picture of a Litton 4J50 X-band Pulse Magnetron (Example Schematic)
- 7521 X-band Pulse Magnetron (53k PDF)
- 6344A C-band Pulse Magnetron (92k PDF)
- 6517 L-band Pulse Magnetron (256k PDF)
- 7417 C-band Pulse Magnetron (78k PDF)
- 8682 Ka-band Pulse Magnetron (135k PDF)
- 8855 X-band Pulse Magnetron (98k PDF)
- 8798 S-band Pulse Magnetron (101k PDF)
- 8896 X-band Pulse Magnetron (160k PDF)
- DoD-011 15 GHz Pulse Magnetron Replaces Litton L-5328. (64k PDF)
- DoD-031 X-band Pulse Magnetron Replaces Varian VMX-1136. (82k PDF)
- DoD-032 X-band Pulse Magnetron Replaces Varian VMX-1135. (83k PDF)
- DoD-033 15 GHz Pulse Magnetron Replaces Varian VMU-1134. (95k PDF)
- 8943 16.5 GHz Pulse Magnetron (63k PDF)
- 8939 X-band Pulse Magnetron (96k PDF)
- 8982 16 GHz Pulse Magnetron (572k PDF)
- English Electric Valve Co. - 1961 Magnetron Catalog (848k PDF)
Rostislav Persion's Projects
Web page mirrors from the old www.voltsamps.com site.
Persion's new website documenting his projects is at www.persion.info.
- HERF 001 The purpose of this lab is to find a way to power a microwave oven magnetron from a portable power supply.
- HERF 002 This was my attempt at a high-power X-band frequency HPM device, using a high gain horn antenna, and a military magnetron.
- HERF 003 The reason I am constructing this lower power HERF that runs off the mains, is to experiment with microwaves and possibly dish reflectors.
- HERF 004 his project is a continuation of the HERF 003 project
- HERF 005 1 kW, 18 dBi high-quality HERF with tuneable waveguide. This device was built as a demo for the 10th annual Information Warfare Conference in DC. Lots of images, videos and a sneak peak at the 12 kW X-band battery powered HERF. Videos of a PC being crashed.
- Explosively Powered EMP Device Technical description of the principle behind explosive powered EMP weapons.
- Transient Electromagnetic Device (TED) HERF Wideband transient electromagnetic device.
- HERF Radiation Tests performed on a HERF device in order to graph its radiation pattern. Great photos and radiation pattern images.
- Hand Held HERF Power supply fits inside of the magnetron.
- Pulse Forming Network Pulse forming network design and improvement.
- Radial Pulse Forming Network This project is aimed at the design of a new bread of type-E pulse forming networks.
- Horn Antenna Designer Helps design a rectangular horn antenna by showing how to cut pieces for it from sheet metal.
- Power Density Calculator Calculates RF power density at a given gain and distance.
- HERF Range Calculates and graphs HERF/HPM range at a given power and gain.
- Horn Antenna Calculator MS-DOS application for calculating rectangular horn antenna dimensions.
- Focal Point Calculator Calculates a parabola's focal point.
- Air Gap Breakdown Information
- Dielectric Constant Information
- Single Transistor Flyback Circuit
- Ball Lightning / Plasma Generation
- RF Coherer
- Dry Ice Propulsion
- Gyro Gun 01
- Pulsed Filament
- False Identity
- Railgun 01
- Wire Explosion Propulsion
- Computer Vision Tracking
- Insecure RF ID Doors
- Insecure Washing Machines
- Insecure Soda Machines
- Shape Memory Alloy Robot
- Microwave Oven Leaks
- Inside the Magnetron's Ceramic Antenna Probe
- Crossed Signals Interview in U.S. News and World Report, December 2002.
- Shoot Out the Lights Interview from the O'Reilly book Makers. (Page 2)
- MTV 'Urban Myths' Segment (7.1M WebM)
Other Related GBPPR Projects