|Radio Scanner Modifications and Information|
|Communication is the Key to Success|
Random collection of notes, schematics, software, etc.
Notes & Resources
- Optoelectronics - Interface Specifications & Utilities
- Scanner Hardware & Software Options
- MDT Stuff Original 1996 USENET posting to rec.radio.scanner.
- MDTW1234 - Revision B by Bonzo
MDTSCAN MDT log scanner, by Bonzo Listener/MDT v1.1 by Bonzo POCSAG/FLEX Pager Receiving Program POC32 POCSAG decoder for Windows '95.
- Manual (105k PDF)
PDW v3.1 - Paging Decoder for Windows POCSAG/FLEX Decoder for Windows, by Jason Petty PD v2.05 POCSAG decoder for DOS, by Peter Baston Mobitex Wireless Packet Data Decoder KRACARS v1.2 Khalid Rafiq's freeware ACARS decoder for DOS. WACARS v0.7 ACARS reception and decoding software for Windows 95/98 + soundcard. Beginners guide to POCSAG Pager Decoding The Quick-and-Dirty Data Inteface Data slicer using only Radio Shack parts. How to Modify Your Icom R7100 to Provide an Output Directly from the Discriminator by Tim Jackson Computer Interface for an AOR AR8000 Schematic icomlib-1.0.0 Icom IC-PCR1000 control suite for Linux, by Javaman and PolyWog How to Build Your Own Rogue GSM BTS for Fun and Profit by Simone Margaritelli Listening in to a DECT Digital Cordless Phone with a HackRF GE-Ease The EDACS beep eliminator. Scanner Control by Zebra Zed. Allows you to connect your PLL2002-equipped scanner to your computer, giving you complete control of the scanner's frequency, range, and bands. The PLL2002 is found in about 90% of all scanners made by Radio Shack. Vox Recorder A Windows utility wich allows recording sound from an audio source only when an audio signal is present; its main purpose is to avoid the recording of the silence eventually present at the input, by Nino Porcino (IZ8BLY). The Digital Sounds Library USENET: rec.radio.scanner Via Red Wave Radio USENET: rec.radio.scanner Via Google Groups The PRO-2006 Mailing List Archives Scanner Digest Newsletter PROgramit Project Page Build an inexpensive computer control interface for your scanner, by John Montalbano (KA2PYJ) Radio Shack PRO-2005/6 EL Replacement Brett Saylor's Radio Shack PRO-2006 Blog Scanner Converter Upgrade your scanner to receive signals in the 800-900 or 900-1000 MHz bands, Radio Electronics, February 1992 CPUUpdater_0651_U2.9_1.EXE CPU Update v2.9 for Radio Shack PRO-651/652 scanners. Can also be used to repair "bricked" scanners. Requires the #20-546 programming cable. BanpaiA Team BanpaiA Team created the first DDI (ESN/MIN snarfing) software that works using a radio scanner + soundcard only, without extra hardware or modified cellular phones.
- BanpaiA v1.6.09b Win 32 version (v1.6.09 beta - 03/20/1999)
- BanpaiA v1.6b Linux version (v1.6 beta - 05/02/1998)
Realistic DX-394 Modifications Receive GOES-16 and GOES-17 Images with a Raspberry Pi and RTL-SDR Dongle N2CBU's Radio Shack DSP-40 Modification The Spectrum Monitor The Spectrum Monitor is edited and published by Ken Reitz (KS4ZR), former managing editor, features editor, columnist and feature writer for Monitoring Times. Monitoring Times Back Issues 1982-2013 Popular Communications Back Issues 1982-2013
- The Hobbyists Guide to RTL-SDR By the authors of the rtl-sdr.com blog. (25M PDF)
- SATSAGEN Spectrum Analyzer Software Updated: Now Supports RTL-SDR
- An Introduction to Pagers with the HackRF PortaPack and an RTL-SDR
- Testing Report: MAYHEM the RF Pentesting HackRF/PortaPack Firmware (Video) (Mayhem Firmware)
- How to Replay RF Signals Using SDR
- Raspberry Pi RTL-SDR Spectrum Analyzer Scanner
Trunked Radio Information & Software
- Trunking System Analyzer by James V. Poll (WB5WPA/AA5CT)
- Plano Trunked Radio Reports Trunking report showing activity on the Plano, Texas trunked radio system using a trunking system analyzer.
- Original Website
Trunked Radio Decoders From The RadioReference Wiki Determining Motorola Type I Fleetmaps An excellent FAQ/guide written by Dave Goodson outlining how to determine Fleetmaps for Type I systems. Fleetmap Excel Spreadsheet Spreadsheet that helps with talkgroup conversions from TT to Motorola and determining Type I Fleetmaps. TRUNKER.EXE V3.x The TRUNKER Utility - v3.8.1 This utility decodes the Motorola Trunked Data Channel. It will decode Type I, Type II, Hybrid Systems, 800, 900, and 400 MHz systems, Smartnet and Smartzone systems. It will also drive a second scanner for "TrunkTracking" - allowing one to monitor Group calls, Individual calls, and patch calls using a two scanner setup. (Feb. 7, 2000) The TRUNKER Utility - v3.8.2 IMPORTANT - BACKUP and SAVE your trunker data files before running 3.8.2 against them, since there are numerous changes in the way the application processes them. (Nov. 25, 2000) The TRUNKER Utility - v3.8.3 (May 7, 2001) The ETRUNK Utility - v3.8.1 This utility decodes the Ericsson EDACS Trunked Data Channel. It will decode all EDACS trunking systems and drive a second scanner for tracking calls. This archive also includes an executable that will decode 4800 baud narrowband EDACS systems. Trunking Digital Signals Decoding The Interfaces for Decoding Digital Signals TrunkTracker Technical Tips Keypad tricks and other information for the Bearcat TrunkTrackers. Logic Trunked Radio (LTR) FAQ (655k PDF) Tips, Tricks and Useful Information for Using Your TrunkTracker by T.R. Swisher, Jr. (WA8PYR) Radio Shack Trunking Scanner FAQ LTR Data Slicer Trunked System Monitoring Tips and Information Win32 TRUNK88 v4.90A, v4.89W, and v4.63 Configuring UniTrunker Support in SDRSharp by Bob Rich P25 Trunked Tracking and Decoding with RTL-SDR, Unitrunker, AND DSDPlus by Jeffrey Kopcak
Bill Cheek Scanner Notes / FAQs / CE-232 Interface
- 4-Level FSK Decoder FAQ Want to try your hand at decoding those mysterious FLEX and ReFLEX signals? This FAQ will get you launched!
- Scanner Modifications FAQ Pretty much the hard-core, down & dirty nitty-gritty about modifying scanners.
- Scanner Data Decoder FAQ Roll your own Data Decoder Interface and start decoding digital data from the airwaves.
- Scanner Performance FAQ Here's the hard core about what separates the men from the boys in scanner performance.
- Scanner S-Meter FAQ How the heck is it possible to do some serious scanning without an S-Meter? Well, here is how to roll your own S-meter for many scanners.
- Scanner Radios FAQ All about what separates the men from the boys when it comes to scanning receivers.
- NFM Discriminator Chips Taps for baseband audio and squelch gate data.
- The World Scanner Report Bill Cheek's scanner newsleter.
- Tracking Trunked Radio Systems Without a 'real' TrunkTracker scanner!
- Decoding Digital Data
- Modifying the Sony WaveHawk Monitoring Times, June 1999
- S-Meter for PRO-2004/5/6 & Other Scanners
- Lung Cancer Diagnosis
- Government v. Citizen
- Busted Scanners by James B. Kelleher
- Bill Cheek's Last Stand by James B. Kelleher
- Final World by Cindy Cheek
- Scanner Modification Handbook, Vol. 1 by Bill Cheek (12.3M PDF)
- Scanner Modification Handbook, Vol. 2 by Bill Cheek (15.7M PDF)
- Cheek3: The Ultimate Scanner by Bill Cheek (22.4M PDF)
World Scanner Report Archive
- Table of Contents
- Keyword Index
- Vol. 1, No. 1 January 1991
- Vol. 1, No. 2 February 1991
- Vol. 1, No. 3 March 1991
- Vol. 1, No. 4 April 1991
- Vol. 1, No. 5 May-June 1991
- Vol. 1, No. 6 July 1991
- Vol. 1, No. 7 August 1991
- Vol. 1, No. 8 September 1991
- Vol. 1, No. 9 October 1991
- Vol. 1, No. 10 November-December 1991
- Vol. 2, No. 1 January 1992
- Vol. 2, No. 2 February 1992
- Vol. 2, No. 3 March 1992
- Vol. 2, No. 4 April 1992
- Vol. 2, No. 5 May-June 1992
- Vol. 2, No. 6 July 1992
- Vol. 2, No. 7 August 1992
- Vol. 2, No. 8 September 1992
- Vol. 2, No. 9 October 1992
- Vol. 2, No. 10 November-December 1992
- Vol. 5, No. 1
- Vol. 5, No. 2
- Vol. 5, No. 3
- Vol. 5, No. 4
- Vol. 5, No. 5
- Vol. 5, No. 6
- Vol. 5, No. 7
- Vol. 5, No. 8
- Vol. 5, No. 9
- Vol. 5, No. 10
HB-232 & CE-232 Interface Information
- An Overview of the CE-232 Scanner/Computer Interface
- Computer Interfaces Chapter CE-232 chapter from Cheek3: The Ultimate Scanner
- CE-232 Scanner/Computer Interface Program Disk Version 1.0b / HB-232 v1.3 / Nov. 15, 1995. George M. Steidley & COMMtronics Engineering (Extracted Contents)
- CE-232 Miscellaneous Files
- CE-232 README
- Assembly, Installation, & Operating Manual for the CE-232 Scanner/Computer Interface
- HB-232 & CE-232 Software Developer Information (1992 Original)
- A Tutorial on the CE-232 Scanner/Computer Interface's Script Feature and Language Summary
- A Tutorial on the CE-232 Scanner/Computer Interface's Enhanced User Features & Facilities
- A Tutorial on the CE-232 Scanner/Computer Interface's Auto-Reject Function
- A Tutorial on the CE-232 Scanner/Computer Interface's Auto-Lookup Function
- A Tutorial on the CE-232 Scanner/Computer Interface's Auto-Logger Function
- Understanding and Making Auto-Programmer Files for the CE-232 Scanner/Computer Interface
- A Tutorial on the CE-232 Scanner/Computer Interface's Enhanced User Features & Facilities
- CE-232 Script Example Finds and auto-logs all "birdies" in the scanner.
- LINK123.SCR This script will link three search ranges 1, 2, and 3.
- Hex Dump of the CE-232's Pre-Programmed 68HC11 This document is a personality file for the PRO-2006 scanner.
- CE-232 News & Updates
- HBIODEMO.BAS HBIODEMO.BAS is a program demonstrating interfacing with the HB232 scanner interface unit. It may be run under DOS 5.0's QBasic Interpreter or under QuickBasic 4.5.
- HB-232 System Block Diagram
- Wiring Plan for the HB-232 Interface
- HB-232 PCB Parts & Wiring Layout
- From the SHIFT-? Easter Egg
- Pro-Turbo Manual (685k PDF)
- Pro-Turbo Documentation Archive
Radio Shack PRO-83 Scanner Utilities
- Radio Shack PRO-83 - User Manual Radio Shack #20-501 (650k PDF)
- Load83 v1.1 (367k ZIP)
PRO-83 Manager Version 1.0.15 by Jay L. Bray (3.4M ZIP)
Frequency & Protocol Data
- Green Bay / Brown County, Wisconsin Frequencies
- Wisconsin Statewide Frequencies
- Huge Scanner Listing Arranged by Frequency (Green Bay, WI) by Steve Lampereur, KB9MWR
- Space Shuttle Mission Frequency Guide
- Frequency Allocations
- Info on FBI Communications Systems
- CSA Federal Frequency Guide v1.0 - May 2009
- U.S. Military UHF MILSATCOM Frequencies
- U.S. Military Frequencies
- 900 MHz Cordless Telephone Frequencies
- POCSAG Pager Signal Information
- Motorola Trunked Radio Control Channel Information
- Motorola Trunking Systems Information
- Ericsson EDACS Trunking Systems Information
- Ericsson EDACS Trunked Radio Control Channel
- Ericsson EDACS Control Channel Monitoring Program (Source Code)
- Encryption Protocols A brief look at analog and digital encryption devices, by Doug G.
- APCO25 Digital Scanner Project
- DTMF Basic Facts
- Mini-Circuits MAR-6 Preamp Schematic
- Electro Luminescent Panel Switch Schematic
- Improve the Squelch in Your Monitor Receiver by Bob Parnass (AJ9S)
- 50 MHz Bandpass Filter Schematic
- Light Mod for the Bearcat 235XLT TrunkTracker by Sly Kapchinski (N5GQB)
Used to convert 2- or 4-level FSK information into 1's and 0's
- Data Slicer Instructions
- Data Slicer Schematic
- RF Digital Signaling Basics by Mycal Johnson
- Decoding Manchester Encoded Data Linux/FreeBSD code examples.
Fed Monit: Scanner Audio Recorder
Total hack to record audio from your scanner using your computer.
Descrambling Cordless Phones
How to descramble speech inversion cordless phones (those Donald Duck-sounding ones)
- Descrambling Cordless Phones Instructions
- Descrambling Cordless Phones Schematic
- Single-Mode Inversion Voice Scrambler/Descrambler
- VoiceInvert v0.2 Windows program for decoding baseband speech inversion transmissions. (1.8M ZIP)
INVERT.EXE Simple speech inversion decoder for Windows by Tony Rusho Spectrum Inverter (SI) Russian real-time speech inversion decoder for Windows. (232k ZIP) Voice Descrambler This program descrambles band inverted encrypted transmissions, usually found on VHF/UHF. It uses a NCO (numerical controlled oscillator) to re-produce the originally inverted audio band, by Nino Porcino (IZ8BLY).
Operating & Service Manuals / Schematics
- Radio Shack PRO-2050 Service Manual Radio Shack Cat. #20-430A (1.9M PDF)
- Radio Shack PRO-2042 Parts List Radio Shack Cat. #20-464
- Radio SHack PRO-2035 Service Manual Radio Shack Cat. #20-460 (2.0M PDF)
- Radio Shack PRO-2032 Schematic
- Radio Shack PRO-2027 Service Manual Radio Shack Cat. #20-402 (3.0M PDF)
- Radio Shack PRO-2026 Service Manual Radio Shack Cat. #20-148 (5.1M PDF)
- Radio Shack PRO-2022 Service Manual Radio Shack Cat. #20-127 (10.5M PDF)
- Radio Shack PRO-2021 Service Manual Radio Shack Cat. #20-113 (1.6M PDF)
- Radio Shack PRO-2020 Service Manual Radio Shack Cat. #20-112 (10.4M PDF)
- Radio Shack PRO-2006 Service Manual Radio Shack Cat. #20-145 (10.1M PDF)
Radio Shack PRO-2004 Service Manual Radio Shack Cat. #20-119 (25.1M PDF) Radio Shack PRO-197 Serivce Manual Radio Shack Cat. #20-197 (5.7M PDF) Radio Shack PRO-106 Service Manual Radio Shack Cat. #20-106 (2.2M PDF) Radio Shack PRO-94 Service Manual Radio Shack Cat. #20-524 (8.9M PDF) Radio Shack PRO-60 Service Manual Radio Shack Cat. #20-309 (1.9M PDF) Radio Shack PRO-50 Schematic Radio Shack PRO-43 Service Manual Radio Shack Cat. #20-300 (1.9M PDF) Radio Shack PRO-38 Schematic Radio Shack PRO-34 Service Manual Radio Shack Cat. #20-135 (18.8M PDF) Radio Shack PRO-9 Owner's Manual + Schematic Radio Shack Cat. #20-164 (471k PDF) Radio Shack PRO-6 Owner's Manual + Schematic (513k PDF) Radio Shack PRO-3A Owner's Manual + Schematic Radio Shack Cat. #20-452 (420k PDF) Radio Shack PRO-2 Owner's Manual + Schematic Radio Shack Cat. #20-160 (228k PDF) Sony ICF-SC1 Service Manual (1.9M PDF) Icom IC-R7100 Service Manual (26.1M PDF) Universal M-400 Decoder Owner's Manual v2.0 (19.3M PDF)
- SatTrackCam Leiden (b)log SatTrackCam Leiden (Cospar 4353) is a satellite tracking station located at Leiden, the Netherlands. The tracking focus is on classified objects - i.e. "spy satellites"
- Helicopters of D.C.
- N2YO - Real-Time Satellite Tracking & Predictions
- Deep Black Horizon by Steve A. Douglass
- PoTom's Radio and Cellular Projects Page
Knowledge is Power